Home > Cold Calling > Should I just ask?

Should I just ask?

Hello Everyone! Well, I am beginning to really like the company I work for. Also, I have freedom to try different approaches to make appointments for our sales representatives. My company specializes in multi functional printers, and business machines and document management.

When I call a hospital I have had decent responses to asking, “May I speak with someone in your purchasing department about becoming an approved vendor with your hospital.”

My question is – when I call on other businesses, all types and sizes, I was thinking about asking, “May I speak with someone in your company about becoming a vendor?”

I am guessing that you all are going to say that that does nothing to grab attention, but I’m also wondering if you think it might be a practical way to get contact information and an appointment.

Thank you in advance!
Terry - by TeresaAnn
I am guessing that you all are going to say that that does nothing to grab attention, but I’m also wondering if you think it might be a practical way to get contact information and an appointment.
Guess again, Terry. There is no perfect opening, and I like it--meaning I would test it. It does get attention--and somehow I think there is a difference between grabbing and getting. It suggests legitimate inquiry, isn't transparent, and can be construed as businesslike. It is also non-assumptive and assumptiveness can be a turn-off to those people who can connect you to the right person.

I also want to comment on your use of the word "vendor". We think of ourselves as salespeople, sales representatives, territory managers, etc. but "vendor" is a word straight out of many companies' or institutions' procedure manuals. It has permeated many of their cultures. In short--it is not only speaking their language, it is speaking their required language.

Go for it. - by Ace Coldiron
Thank you so much for your feedback and encouragement. I am so happy to report that I am getting some very positive results! So far, many businesses ranging from country clubs to dental offices have given me a contact name or some other information. Also, those that are “not interested” have been less rude to me. This is interesting progress for me! - by TeresaAnn
I think the way you are approaching your sales calls is fine. At the end of the day, the majority of time the first person you speak to will be the receptionist (or what I call the "gatekeeper!") You want to get through to the right person asap, therefore if you can try and make your introduction as short as possible then great. If the gatekeeper wants to know more detail then you can give it - but if this is working for you then you know you have the technique under your belt!! - by nard1
I agree - when I was getting leads in for our Sales Team I often found that saying less to the 'gate keeper' as nard1 puts it definately got me more information!

Give more if they need it but usually you can get what you need with a short introduction and then take it from there! - by Neelam
I have used this opening for some time now and it works everytime.

If it's the gate keeper " Hi this is Lee with ABC Training company, I need to speak with the person who manages the computer training for your Orginization" 99.9% i'll get connected or I'll get a name.

Best Regards, - by TRICKORMATE
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.