Home > Approach > NLP and Telemarketing

NLP and Telemarketing

Lately I've been doing some research on NLP and its uses in telemarketing. I was wondering if anyone had any good links to information that would apply.

Thanks in advance. - by tele_trainer
I'm glad someone brought up Neuro-linguistic Programing. There is a great deal of mis-information about NLP that has been circulating since its inception in 1975. Since we are a motivation research firm, I feel obligated to share a few proven conclusions:

1 The co-creators, Richard Bandler and John Grinder, state explicitly that NLP was designed to be used by psychotherapists within a controlled environment as an adjunct to their current methods. It was never designed to be used in sales.

2 In fact, they sued to protect NLP by attempting to file a patent on the system because of the blatant abuse. They lost the case.

3 The primary assumption is false: we do not learn of the external world through our senses. Rather, sensory neural structures can only generate pulsations like a light-switch; either ON or Off. They are incapable of transferring any information.

4 In 1985 the University of California, Berkeley, ceased funding studies in the attempt to validate the process due to the lack of any credible evidence as a normative approach for the population at large.

5 It has been proven to work only randomly and only as a placebo.

6 However, if it works for anyone in sales or in any part of their life--I still support them.

This may sound hypocritical but standard sales techniques are all placebos in the first place--aren't they? So, whats one more? - by John Voris
Reply to John Voris' comments regarding NLP. Are you saying that there is a view that NLP is not as effective as the billion dollar industry that has grown up around it claims? Are you an NLP skeptic? - by Mike Cooper
Reply to John Voris' comments regarding NLP. Are you saying that there is a view that NLP is not as effective as the billion dollar industry that has grown up around it claims? Are you an NLP skeptic?

When major universities exhausts their resources after failing to validate NLP and terminate further exploration, yes I become a skeptic.

In fact, mainstream academia today call NLP an occult following along with other metaphysical unscientific theories such as Tarot, Astrology, Psychic and Tea Leaf reading. (Also billion dollar industries)

NLP is a pseudoscience and cannot make any legitimate, consistent, verifiable claims, utterly failing scientific scrutiny. At best it is a placebo.

While NLP was first subjected to scientific examination in the 1980's, people were already making too much money. Even Tony Robbins later climbed on board. Because of the money, they had to somehow discredit not only Berkeley but other academic institutions that came to the same damaging conclusions.

They soon made unfounded and vacuous claims of errors made by researchers, holding the acedemics to standards greater than what NLP could ever meet.

Nevertheless, research is a business and once the funding stopped, NLP was put on the shelf. With academic opposition slowing, the NLP proponents could move forward with new freedom making even greater exaggerated claims.

While the present amount of information that discredits NLP would overload this venue, such opposition has long been muffled by the NLP exploiters. Anyone who teaches NLP or has any financial connection with NLP, will naturally say its the best thing since sliced bread and deny solid opposing evidence.

More importantly, there are presently web locations dedicated to real life sales people, reporting their anger with NLP fraud.

As I said before, NLP can work but only as a placebo and by definition, this cited cause for the intended result is an illusion. - by John Voris
Well I guess I know which side of the fence you are on! Thankfully it is a side I already inhabit and suddenly I feel less lonely.

I believe there is much to be said in favour of the theory of being able to communicate effectively via "NLP" but the billion dollar industry that has grown up exploits those who are seeking the silver bullet for sales success.

"Know your customer" is the core principle I preach and you don't need parlour trick and "illusion" to make this happen. - by Mike Cooper
Well I guess I know which side of the fence you are on! Thankfully it is a side I already inhabit and suddenly I feel less lonely.

I believe there is much to be said in favour of the theory of being able to communicate effectively via "NLP" but the billion dollar industry that has grown up exploits those who are seeking the silver bullet for sales success.

"Know your customer" is the core principle I preach and you don't need parlor trick and "illusion" to make this happen.
We are a research and development firm dedicated to exploring human motivation.

The theory of NLP was being used by the Army prior to 1968 (6 years before Bandler and Grinder). It was called Echoing and was a method of communication but not with normal people. It was used in the psych wards of hospitals. These people suffered from serious pathology or brain damage from auto and other accidents. For this reason, they exhibit a diminished sense of reality awareness which is why Echoing was invented. If you truly "mirror" a normal person, they will call it mockery.

Moreover, the authors state that,"This book is designed to give you an explicit set of tools which will help you to become a more effective therapist." It was never meant to be used in sales training, which is why Bandler and Grinder sued to secure a patent to stop this abuse. However, it was too late as NLP was already a common word and they a lost the case.

We are not in the habit of speaking negatively about theories attempting to help people however, we feel NLP crosses the line of integrity and people should be warned about it.

After over 30 years of sales I have never known ONE person deriving ONE benefit from NLP except I was told, "getting out of the house."

Now, "know your customer" is excellent advice that offers years of verifiable evidence of producing positive results. And of course, experienced sales people know there is no "silver bullet" only hard work.

You are in good company - by John Voris
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.