Home > Cold Calling > Introducing yourself to a customer via cold call

Introducing yourself to a customer via cold call

I have a question and I hope I posted this in the correct place.

When introducing yourself to a customer via cold call, do you give them only your name or first and last name? The reason why I'm asking is I have read some books and I have read some of the post's on here and some start out with just their name other's with both first and last name.

Which way is the right way if any?

Best Regards, - by TRICKORMATE
I have a question and I hope I posted this in the correct place.

When introducing yourself to a customer via cold call, do you give them only your name or first and last name? The reason why I'm asking is I have read some books and I have read some of the post's on here and some start out with just their name other's with both first and last name.

Which way is the right way if any?

Best Regards,
Hello? What IS your name? Is it Tom.... or is it Tom THUMB? Cher I guess is a name... Madonna, I guess is a name.... who the heck is Tom?

Is it to be "My name is Tom"... or should it be, "My name is Tom Thumb and I'm calling ...." or should it be... Good Morning, my name is Tom Thumb with AFLAC, and the reason I'm calling you today is....

Aloha.... Tom... :cool: - by rattus58
Hello? What IS your name? Is it Tom.... or is it Tom THUMB? Cher I guess is a name... Madonna, I guess is a name.... who the heck is Tom?

Is it to be "My name is Tom"... or should it be, "My name is Tom Thumb and I'm calling ...." or should it be... Good Morning, my name is Tom Thumb with AFLAC, and the reason I'm calling you today is....

Aloha.... Tom... :cool:
I have always advocated last and first--in that order. Example: My name is Franklin--Ben Franklin....from...etc. - by Ace Coldiron
I have always advocated last and first--in that order. Example: My name is Franklin--Ben Franklin....from...etc.
Interesting.... me an the kid are making calls today... we'll try it out... :)

Much Aloha Tom.... :cool: - by rattus58
Interesting.... me an the kid are making calls today... we'll try it out... :)

Much Aloha Tom.... :cool:
Remember your Bettger studies, Tom. - by Ace Coldiron
I do.... "You Betcher Life" Bettger.... thmbp2; - by rattus58
I do.... "You Betcher Life" Bettger.... thmbp2;
YEP--you got it! - by Ace Coldiron
I have always advocated last and first--in that order. Example: My name is Franklin--Ben Franklin....from...etc.

I can't help but think of James Bond when I saw this!!! thmbp2; Personally, I think I would crack up everytime if I used that as an introduction! But hey ..... if it works.......;sm - by nard1
Personnaly I tend to go for first and last in that order so for example;

"Hi my name is Neelam XXXX calling from XXXX.............." it always works for me? - by Neelam
Personnaly I tend to go for first and last in that order so for example;

"Hi my name is Neelam XXXX calling from XXXX.............." it always works for me?
Thanks for the Input.

Best Regards, - by TRICKORMATE
I can't help but think of James Bond when I saw this!!! thmbp2; Personally, I think I would crack up everytime if I used that as an introduction! But hey ..... if it works.......;sm
Nard1, even if I were not a moderator on SalesPractice, I would still ask you not to ridicule members' suggestions or contributions in these discussions--mine or anybody else's. - by Ace Coldiron
Nard1, even if I were not a moderator on SalesPractice, I would still ask you not to ridicule members' suggestions or contributions in these discussions--mine or anybody else's.
Sorry, didn't mean to "ridicule" anyone. I think it's great that's the way some people introduce themselves, I was just saying that I personally couldn't do it that way.

A sense of humour obviously doesn't go down well here..... - by nard1
Sorry, didn't mean to "ridicule" anyone. I think it's great that's the way some people introduce themselves, I was just saying that I personally couldn't do it that way.

A sense of humour obviously doesn't go down well here.....
A sense of humor actually goes a long way here... but the way you may have phrased it might possibly have given the wrong impression. I'm good at this myself.. no actually VERY good at this, and as to Ace's chide to you, he's being quite the gentleman about it.

The one person I've seen Ace actually go, what my kids would call, ballistic, others apoplectic, and still others torch, flame, or off on, was a very contrite, modest, unassuming, young man, with whom he had disagreement as to how the perp (etrator) disagreed, to a fault, it turns out, and Ace produced one of the most elequent deliveries of such pent up emotion and vigor, it could only be considered a classic case of spontaneous ignition. That gentleman is with us today still, but we need to care how we connect with people... humor is fun. Humor goes a long way, and not to put a racial spin on it, there is black humor and white humor, and some humor shouldn't cross colors.

Much Aloha... Tom :cool: - by rattus58
A sense of humor actually goes a long way here... but the way you may have phrased it might possibly have given the wrong impression. I'm good at this myself.. no actually VERY good at this, and as to Ace's chide to you, he's being quite the gentleman about it.

The one person I've seen Ace actually go, what my kids would call, ballistic, others apoplectic, and still others torch, flame, or off on, was a very contrite, modest, unassuming, young man, with whom he had disagreement as to how the perp (etrator) disagreed, to a fault, it turns out, and Ace produced one of the most elequent deliveries of such pent up emotion and vigor, it could only be considered a classic case of spontaneous ignition. That gentleman is with us today still, but we need to care how we connect with people... humor is fun. Humor goes a long way, and not to put a racial spin on it, there is black humor and white humor, and some humor shouldn't cross colors.

Much Aloha... Tom :cool:
I miss Mitch. At least I could make him laugh. - by Ace Coldiron
:) It weren't exactly Mitch I was thinkin... but yer right.... ;bg

Aloha... Tom :cool: - by rattus58
:) It weren't exactly Mitch I was thinkin... but yer right.... ;bg

Aloha... Tom :cool:
No--it was just a random thought. Mitch is a friend of mine. Helluva nice guy. - by Ace Coldiron
surname ..... then first name, mcgovern.... alex mcgovern it is easier to remember first name alone is an unnecessary familiarity - by temitope
surname ..... then first name, mcgovern.... alex mcgovern it is easier to remember first name alone is an unnecessary familiarity
Yes--the point exactly. - by Ace Coldiron
Ok guys.....apologies my end! Will not happen again thmbp2; - by nard1
The Winning formula:
- Name
- Surname
- Company
- Depatment
- THE BIG SMILE
- by progman
yes the winning formula but ommitting the dpartment. the big smile is very important. you may give a compliment, and a sincere one !!!! - by temitope
Trickormate

I don't know what it is, but I've always used and advocated 'this is Mark Brown' rather than 'my name is Mark Brown'.

It comes across differently, certainly less passively.

I think I learnt it ffrom a book 'Selling to VITO' - by marky
Yes, I say "hi, this is Christine, Christine xxxxxx, calling from xxxxx, it works for me too. - by tin.jeanjaquet
I never tell them " Hi my name is".. I always go into the call with "Hi this is Lee" putting my last name will probably confuse them cuz it's hard for them to pernounce and it starts with a double R sound.

I guess I'll stick to the basics.. lol - by TRICKORMATE
I never tell them " Hi my name is".. I always go into the call with "Hi this is Lee" putting my last name will probably confuse them cuz it's hard for them to pernounce and it starts with a double R sound.

I guess I'll stick to the basics.. lol
At times this is definately the best option!;sm - by Neelam
I like to tell them my first and last name. I see my name as if it's a brand. - by Polysquared
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.