Home > Cold Calling > Drop in or D2D

Drop in or D2D

So I have found out the hard way that getting to individuals I need to is a pain. I have also found that (if you read my other long, grueling post) that cold calling will not work. We have done some branding, I have joined several community and state business organizations. Our presence is up but still not of any value on sales.

So I have started sending out informational booklets (they are really neat actually) customized to the prospects company. Now I'm getting a little response on those but I'm going to go nuts if I have to sit in front of my computer much longer.

My new theory is Door to Door or drop in education. I'm not looking to hard sell them, just looking off the bat to make them aware of what we do. Now a lot of businesses have no solicitation or solicitation by apt only, which is understandable. My issue comes in when people lean heavily on it and point to it rather than listening, knowing that trying to call to get an appointment is a nightmare.

My thought is this. What if I were to customize the material as if I were mailing it out, and drop it. Ask if the individual is available, if they say yes, introduce myself to them and leave the material and tell them to contact me if they have any questions, leaving it at a warm contact. And if they say no, have it personalized for the individual and just state that I'm there to deliver this for John Smith and would they please see that he get it.

Does anyone have experience in this, and if so does it work to at least get the ball rolling as far as nurturing a prospect into something worthwhile. If at the least to someone that may not sign up for our service on a retainer / contractual basis but will remember to call us when they have the immediate need.

Thanks in advance all -

Andy:dun - by C&AMarketing
If this isn't cold calling, I've been misrepresenting to myself. If you don't think cold calling will work, what in the name of john's jejosiphat are you doing going door to door... you're just a peddler going door to door, everyone knows that you can't make any money doing that. Never mind that Amway and Mary Kay have a bumbling sales force of ignorant dropouts that didn't get the message on cold calling not working.... and only did about 10 billion between them.. just think if they just learned how to sell...

Door to Door, Counter to Counter.. what's the difference you have the decision makers staring you in the face.. "Whatcha gonna do, man, whatcha gonna do?"

Aloha... Tom :cool: - by rattus58
Sorry, LOL, can see where that was misleading. I meant to put cold "calling". As in from a list over the phone. That was getting me nowhere, and mailing stuff directly to decision makers wasn't making it either. (Too many have secretaries or assistants that open and sort mail prior to their viewing and a lot of stuff gets canned).

So I was looking to see what the best way to do drop in was, instead of phone calls. My goal is to get the information to the individuals that it is relevant to and I feel like this might be my best approach. But have never done this before (have always worked from a warm lead list and pre-qualified leads for calls). So I don't want to come across as an idiot when I do it but also don't want to be overbearing and be the obnoxious "sales" guy that never makes it past step 1.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. And like I said my first step is to "educate" and get the information into their hands, and our material is designed well enough and appealing to the eye that one would be apt to read it to see what it is about, it is just getting it to the ones who need to read it.

Andy - by C&AMarketing
The worst you can do is tell them the truth. I sell this product and I'd like the opportunity to demonstrate its features so we can establish if it could benefit you as it does XXX of others living in this area... or whereever.

As you do this, you'll find in talking to people what hits there "hot" button (interest gene) and go on from there.

As an earlier thread was designed around, your appearance will be your first impressions... but you'll have the decision makers on their doorstep... May I come in for a moment?

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
I guess I didn't elaborate on this part either, it's been a long week and my mind is still partially jumbled. These are going to be to businesses, but my main contacts are in MGT or HR.

I have also had to deal with the "No Soliciting" barrier and was wondering what to do along those lines? Since I'm trying to figure out who I need to talk to and make an appointment should I be ok as far as not soliciting?

Andy - by C&AMarketing
Sending out information booklets?

They'll be going straight into the trash.

You need to write a good sales letter.
A Letter.
NOT booklet.

Just google for 'how to write a great sales letter' - by helisell
WoW I'm batting 0 today. Booklets is probably an inaccurate descriptor for it. Here is what it looks like in a nutshell. The inside has a slot for business specific inserts, that way we can customize it for the business we are sending it to. We have a sheet for the customer's name and logo that goes on the top of the inside section. - by C&AMarketing
As I read these posts, my #1 question is:

Do you want to be a salesperson or a marketer? Does your company need to you to be a salesperson or a marketer?

If you're going to go door-to-door, it is a poor idea (imo) to do this to "educate people on what you have to offer". The only reason to go D2D is to make sales. Do you have the skills to do that? If not, get them. If you have those skills and the committment to make that strategy work, it might be viable for you.

On the other hand, if you decide that you're NOT going to sell and you're only going to market, you need to start out by identifying your market and creating a strategy of how you expend resources (time, money, energy) to bring your products/services to that marketplace.

"Selling" and "Marketing" are two different things. I believe your first step is to determine which you need to do. Don't do anything else until you make that decision.

One more comment: Many salespeople spend hours and hours looking for alternatives to selling. So they end up making flyers, mailers, door hangers, brochures, websites, this and that, but they never sell, all because they're trying to avoid selling. Question #1 is: Do you need to be a seller? Or a marketer? - by Skip Anderson
See that is the issue at hand. My job is comprised of both. With it being a small firm, I am the marketing director as well as the individual who is supposed to be increasing sales. So it isn't a decision I can make because my plate consists of all of the above, and then some. I feel our product is one that is better served through increased awareness and brand reputation rather than selling. It is a service that has a thin market in regards to purchase window. So I guess my main emphasis will be on marketing, which I do a good deal of already, and then having sales as a side factor. - by C&AMarketing
Booklet brochure...whatever.

I looked at it and.....

I promise you that they are going straight into the trash can.

Of course they would. They are just corporate gobbledegook.
They say nothing about the potential customers. They point out no specific benefits.

They have no eyecatchng immediate nenefit. They give no reason to actually read any further.

As Skip says, this is a marketing initiative...and it won't work unfortunately. Try Googling 'Dan Kennedy' and you'll see why it is doomed.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. - by helisell
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.