Home > Approach > The Mood Factor in Selling

The Mood Factor in Selling

I've noticed that few, if any, of the books or articles I've read about selling have discussed buyer "moods" and the impact they might have on a sales call. Does anyone else view this as an influencing factor? - by Agent Smith
I've noticed that few, if any, of the books or articles I've read about selling have discussed buyer "moods" and the impact they might have on a sales call. Does anyone else view this as an influencing factor?
sales people are agents of influence. we create the mood. sales is a transferrance of emotion. Our enthusiasm transmits to the customer. I went to a hockey game once. I don't even like the game. 10 minutes into the first period I was screaming as loud as anyone else and didn't know why. You set the mood you create the tone. - by klozerking
sales people are agents of influence. we create the mood. sales is a transferrance of emotion. Our enthusiasm transmits to the customer. I went to a hockey game once. I don't even like the game. 10 minutes into the first period I was screaming as loud as anyone else and didn't know why. You set the mood you create the tone.
Good point. What are your thoughts on this when it comes to cold calling and trying to sell an appointment to meet? - by Agent Smith
sales people are agents of influence. we create the mood. sales is a transferrance of emotion. Our enthusiasm transmits to the customer. I went to a hockey game once. I don't even like the game. 10 minutes into the first period I was screaming as loud as anyone else and didn't know why. You set the mood you create the tone.
Good response! - by RainMaker
What are your thoughts on this when it comes to cold calling and trying to sell an appointment to meet?
Quite often "Interest" overides a negative mood. ;) - by SalesGuy
Good Responses and I also agree the seller sets the mood. But there is also many diffrent Scenario's for this I think. - by Sanddollar
Also, I think it helps to acknowledge someone's mood when it is clearly off kilter. I take a break from my purpose (to sell MY product) and talk about them. Sometimes people just need a minute to vent and then they're ready to hear what you have to say. - by RainMaker
What are your thoughts on this when it comes to cold calling and trying to sell an appointment to meet?
9 times out of 10 you'd be toast! Timing is everything. :) - by bridger480
Good point. What are your thoughts on this when it comes to cold calling and trying to sell an appointment to meet?
Time is a huge factor when it comes to altering a mood. Whether it's a phone call or a face to face meet, your demeanor as a sales person can make a difference. On the phone, stand up, make sure you are smileing. Keep them on the phone as long as possible. ask a lot of questions. The longer you have them on the line. the better your chances are of setting the appointment. Face to face greet them warmly with a genuine smile. Offer you hand palm up, opened and unarmed giving them control in the hand shake. Make a mental note of their eye color. an unspoken communication takes place. Stand erect, confident and proud. It's not always gonna work, but it will sure increase your chances. - by klozerking
My own perspective:

We alter moods by honoring moods--our own and that of others. I am not presumptious enough to believe that my own mood is more appropriate than someone else's. My own curiosity about the cause of someone's mood--whether it is ultimately fullfilled or not--takes precedance over my agenda of making a sale.

It's called empathy. People look for others that care. When they find them, the mood takes care of itself. It is not emotion that needs to be transferred. That would imply that my emotion is more important than someone else's. It is caring that counts. - by Gary Boye
My own perspective:

It's called empathy. People look for others that care. When they find them, the mood takes care of itself. It is not emotion that needs to be transferred. That would imply that my emotion is more important than someone else's. It is caring that counts.
Great comment, Gary. - by RainMaker
My own perspective:

We alter moods by honoring moods--our own and that of others. I am not presumptious enough to believe that my own mood is more appropriate than someone else's. My own curiosity about the cause of someone's mood--whether it is ultimately fullfilled or not--takes precedance over my agenda of making a sale.

It's called empathy. People look for others that care. When they find them, the mood takes care of itself. It is not emotion that needs to be transferred. That would imply that my emotion is more important than someone else's. It is caring that counts.
I agree in part. A salesperson without empathy will not be a salesperson long. You have to care. Many times I have had to handle client issues before a presentation could take place. Many times I have rescheduled an appointment for a better time when issues had been resolved. However if they had not been in need of my product I would have never been there in the first place. Enthusiasm does sell. If a salesperson believes in their product and they are effective in transferring that enthusiasm to the customer, they will buy. I know sales people who could not utter one single close, but their enthusiasm carried the day. - by klozerking
Enthusiasm does sell.
I can agree with that. I'm just wondering how much it would help when your up against someone already in an unfavorable or negative mood.

Extreme example: The buyer just found out that he/she has lost half of his/her liquid assets to Hurrican damage.

Less extreme example: The buyer just found out that one of his/her major sales has just fallen through. - by Agent Smith
[quote=Agent Smith] or negative mood.

There are going to be times when the sale cannot be made. Whether it's due to a tragedy that affects someones mood, or they for any other number of reasons that they just will not buy. I sincerely doubt that anyone will play a round of golf in 18 strokes or hit a home run at evey at bat. You still have to remain positive and focused and do the best you can. Anyone, even someone who has suffered a tragic loss of any kind is going to prefer to be around someone who is empathetic and upbeat. even if all you can say is this too will pass. The hurricane victim will buy insurance, The lost sale may buy a referral list. - by klozerking
Smart points klozerking. ;) - by Agent Smith
I just called one of our listings. I identified myself/company and the client quickly spit out, "I'm not interested" and hung up. I called back one minute later and the client appologized and said he had been hounded by telemarketers this morning and was sorry. There was nothing I could have done that would have changed his first response. So yeah, mood is a huge factor. - by Thomas
I just called one of our listings. I identified myself/company and the client quickly spit out, "I'm not interested" and hung up. I called back one minute later and the client appologized and said he had been hounded by telemarketers this morning and was sorry. There was nothing I could have done that would have changed his first response. So yeah, mood is a huge factor.
Classic, and a great example of how moods and preconceived ideas can work against the caller. Thanks for sharing. :cool: - by Agent Smith
I've found that getting the prospect to know you care about their needs and find their problems interesting and solvable will relax a customer to the point that you can move into a presentation. On the phone it depends on how well I know the prospect if I talk to them regularily I'll tactfully withdraw and call another time. If I have just caught them at a bad time they know I'll call back at a better time. - by Rothgar the Pacifist
I called 3 FSBOs today and all I said was my name and that I was a realtor and they all 3 hung up on me. That wasn't me it was them. :ma I hope this gets easier. - by realtor
I called 3 FSBOs today and all I said was my name and that I was a realtor and they all 3 hung up on me. That wasn't me it was them. :ma I hope this gets easier.
That type of response comes with the territory.

It does get easier, although it doesn't change, when you realize it for what it is and isn't. It "is" their issue - it "isn't" yours. :wi - by Agent Smith
It "is" their issue - it "isn't" yours. :wi
I like the sound of that. :bg - by realtor
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.