Home > Cold Calling > Rate my cold call opening...

Rate my cold call opening...

Hi all,

Let me know what you think of this cold call opening:

Greetings Mr/Mrs ______________, this is Klozer with XYZ Co.… we haven’t met yet, but we are a leading document management company specializing in helping organizations like yours lessen their dependence on paper while at the same time reduce the operating costs associated with processing, storing, and accessing documents and information in their business.

In a nutshell, we help our customers do more with less paper.

[from here, i would go for the appointment]

Let me know what you think... and please don't hold back... msnwnk;

thanks! - by klozer
I am in favor of removing the words "We help..." from sales scripts and introductions. It is similar to the commonly used "We work with..." which should also be trashed.

Also, what does "like yours.." mean? Are you calling somebody to tell them that they are not unique (even though, as you said, you "haven't met")?

You are using words and sentences that sound like selling--but they are not well thought out. - by Ace Coldiron
Interesting... How would you phrase that differently I wonder?

We provide businesses with a way of lessening their dependence on paper...? - by klozer
I wouldn't phrase it differently.

This script would be effective:
Mr/Mrs ______________, my name is (First and Last Name) and I'm calling from XYZ Co.
We have an...unique...document..management..system that we are offering progressive companies.
The process cuts tons of paperwork ... and...REDUCES..OPERATING...COSTS.
In a nutshell, our customers do more with less paper...and in less...time...spent.
May I stop by and give you a BRIEF OVERVIEW of how we work? IF NOTHING ELSE, we'll see if it might be a fit for your company. (Run on sentence. Don't pause between "work" and "if".)
I know you're busy. How about......... tomorrow?
Note the (...) which represents tiny and important pauses.

"IF NOTHING ELSE" is a strong key phrase that sales people should make part of their language.

Note the absence of an alternate advance close on setting the time. Either tomorrow is good, another time is good---or never is good. The last two sentences of this script are paradoxical, and strong.

It's important to realize that any opening is intended merely as a segue to ENGAGE the other party. Appointments come from that engagement--not from tactics. If you can engage the person on the telephone, you will probably get an appointment. - by Ace Coldiron
Love this new approach. It shows more adaptability and emphasizes key buying motives such as reduce cost - minimize waste. Also showing the prospect awareness that they are busy gives you great credibilty as a sales pro.

My only change would be a brief line on how you've helped others with similar problems. - by coldcallmaster
in the SellingGame methodology, I show B2B sales people that your prospect has heard it all; they are quite savvy to the tactics being used in prospecting calls. If you have to make those calls, though, I would make the following suggestions:

1. Eliminate the "increase revenue, decrease costs, enhances efficiency" statement. An assumption is being made, and you have not asked the questions to know that you can do what you state.

2. Be clear that you do not know if you have relevance to company's direction, and ask if it is okay for them to tell you if there is a fit.

3. Do your research before you make your call. Know something about the business. Be able to ask one question during your call that makes your propsect say to him/herself, "hmm....I didnt expect that from a cold call".

The key here is, dont press. Prospects are savvy to the press. - by David Mack
I agree with all of this especially the looking up your clients business interests. What I'm not exactly sure you're saying is the "press" part. Being prepared, creative and persistent, I believe is necessary for a cold call. Failing that, be honest ...

"Mr Papershufflerguy I need your help. I know you're busy and don't want to waste your time, but I'd like to meet you. I sell a shuffler system designed to convert document filing systems to electronic storage fast and efficiently. It's a great system that can benefit most of the businesses we introduce it to and I'd like to have a few minutes of your time so that you could evaluate it for your business. Where could I neatly fit in to your schedule over the next two day?"

Or some variation that you've taken a little more thought to...

Much Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
You are correct, Rattus. I was not clear enough here, so my apologies. What I meant by "press" is that sales people try to trick or hustle their prospects into getting an appointment, or make blanket assumptions they have no right to make. much to the annoyance and chagrin of those whom they are trying to reach. Enter one of the primary roles of the gatekeeper.

Everything you state is accurate. If I were going to add anything else, I would ask salespeople to not show need, assume the DM's time is valuable, and ask a relevant question about their company or business during the call.

Most of us are conditioned to believe that making 100 calls will yield 10 DM's, with 4 appts, and 1 sale. No wonder we hate these calls, right? The goal should be to get those results with making 70% less calls, so the time is spent in the middle/end of the selling process. - by David Mack
Here is my take, how about being upfront and honest and trying to maximize on the 5 seconds you have in a cold call. My approach is human being to human being...
Mr/Mrs ______________, my name is (First and Last Name) AND THIS IS A SALES CALL, DO I HAVE YOU FILLED WITH ANTICIPATION AND EXCITEMENT...
Let's examine that from your "human being to human being" perspective. What I hear you saying is that we have to define the nature of our engagement of another person before we can interact.

If I am seeking help in getting directions in a strange town and I stop a stranger, I should then say, "This is an attempt to get information from you about how I get to ________. How does that affect you?" (Note: I couldn't bring myself to say the excitement and anticipation line so I softened it.) - by Gary A Boye
One of the things I ask my clients (B2B sales teams or individual salespople) is to put themselves in the chair of the DM they are trying to reach. Think of it...

You are a VP or C-Level in a company, fixed on the strategic direction of your organization, and all things encompassing. You eat, drink, sleep your targets, and you'd better hit them, or have a tremendous reason why you did not. All the while, you have perhaps 20 salespeople per day asking you to spend 5 minutes listening to your fabulous product/service that will increase his revenue, decrease his expense, and enhance his interoffice efficiencies.

That's great that you believe in your product; here is the problem...the customer hates, HATES the assumption from the salesperson that they are relevant to their operation. I think the more we push, the more the DM repels. So, flip it. Make the call, but make it clear that you are not sure if you can assist them in their goals. You can even invite them to say 'no' once you have had a chance to tell them something about their business (NOT tell them about your product). My goal is to get you away from making 100 calls that stick X, to making 35 calls that stick the same number, or making 100 calls to get 3X. That's the game. - by David Mack
Kind of Gary...my main point is that one should be straight forward, just like a good dentist who is about to shoot you with a needle, he or she [dentins] tells you what is about to happen prior 'diving in'; also, one should always provide the prospect with the 'right to veto'; it shows respect for the prospect and builds credibility at the same time. - by seahawk57
You are close.

The call needs to cover three elements:
  • Trust
  • Credibility
  • Interest
What's missing is the Credibility element.

"Customers like [well known name in their industry] has used our process to eliminate tons of paperwork and cost." - by DaveB
Wow, very nicely and concisely said! I wish I had reps to give.

Going back to edit my script now too, lol. Would you mind giving mine a once-over as well, or should I start my own thread? - by Phateless
I don't want to be rude, however i give it a 1 out of 10. Sorry, but here's why...all you do is talk about your product. The person on the other line doesn't care about you or your product. They are 100% concerned with themselves. Period. Appeal to that by saying "I could talk about my product for hours on end, but I am more concerned about what you guys do. I would love to sit down with you and see if we might make a good fit, and if not that's okay too". - by TSizzle
This topic has been a great help to me and, I want to thank each poster for contributing to my sales education.

My company doesn't use a script, for fear they may start to sound robotic after awhile.

After reading the script contributions here, I find that my error seems to be - I am trying too hard to Sell and Convince, instead of peeking interest and set an appointment.
I'll work on my opening, and submit it for review.

Thank you, one and all. - by Ima Caller
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.