Home > Cold Calling > Rate my cold call opening...

Rate my cold call opening...

Hi all,

Let me know what you think of this cold call opening:

Greetings Mr/Mrs ______________, this is Klozer with XYZ Co.… we haven’t met yet, but we are a leading document management company specializing in helping organizations like yours lessen their dependence on paper while at the same time reduce the operating costs associated with processing, storing, and accessing documents and information in their business.

In a nutshell, we help our customers do more with less paper.

[from here, i would go for the appointment]

Let me know what you think... and please don't hold back... msnwnk;

thanks! - by klozer
I am in favor of removing the words "We help..." from sales scripts and introductions. It is similar to the commonly used "We work with..." which should also be trashed.

Also, what does "like yours.." mean? Are you calling somebody to tell them that they are not unique (even though, as you said, you "haven't met")?

You are using words and sentences that sound like selling--but they are not well thought out. - by Ace Coldiron
Interesting... How would you phrase that differently I wonder?

We provide businesses with a way of lessening their dependence on paper...? - by klozer
I wouldn't phrase it differently.

This script would be effective:
Mr/Mrs ______________, my name is (First and Last Name) and I'm calling from XYZ Co.
We have an...unique...document..management..system that we are offering progressive companies.
The process cuts tons of paperwork ... and...REDUCES..OPERATING...COSTS.
In a nutshell, our customers do more with less paper...and in less...time...spent.
May I stop by and give you a BRIEF OVERVIEW of how we work? IF NOTHING ELSE, we'll see if it might be a fit for your company. (Run on sentence. Don't pause between "work" and "if".)
I know you're busy. How about......... tomorrow?
Note the (...) which represents tiny and important pauses.

"IF NOTHING ELSE" is a strong key phrase that sales people should make part of their language.

Note the absence of an alternate advance close on setting the time. Either tomorrow is good, another time is good---or never is good. The last two sentences of this script are paradoxical, and strong.

It's important to realize that any opening is intended merely as a segue to ENGAGE the other party. Appointments come from that engagement--not from tactics. If you can engage the person on the telephone, you will probably get an appointment. - by Ace Coldiron
Love this new approach. It shows more adaptability and emphasizes key buying motives such as reduce cost - minimize waste. Also showing the prospect awareness that they are busy gives you great credibilty as a sales pro.

My only change would be a brief line on how you've helped others with similar problems. - by coldcallmaster
in the SellingGame methodology, I show B2B sales people that your prospect has heard it all; they are quite savvy to the tactics being used in prospecting calls. If you have to make those calls, though, I would make the following suggestions:

1. Eliminate the "increase revenue, decrease costs, enhances efficiency" statement. An assumption is being made, and you have not asked the questions to know that you can do what you state.

2. Be clear that you do not know if you have relevance to company's direction, and ask if it is okay for them to tell you if there is a fit.

3. Do your research before you make your call. Know something about the business. Be able to ask one question during your call that makes your propsect say to him/herself, "hmm....I didnt expect that from a cold call".

The key here is, dont press. Prospects are savvy to the press. - by David Mack