Home > Personal Development > The Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future

The Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future

Christmas is coming which made me think about "A Christmas Carol" and the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future.

Is there a lesson or two in that story (ie; motivation through perspective) that can be applied to selling? - by Jeff Blackwell
When the ghost of Christmas Future took Scrooge to view his own gravestone, he was putting "the loss" on the table. Up until that time Scrooge, like all of us, was living by calculating only the "risk." - by Ace Coldiron
The neccessity of change. Learn from the past to implement to the present to shape the future. - by rich34232
Is there a lesson or two in that story (ie; motivation through perspective) that can be applied to selling?
You can not ensure tomorrows success today using yesterdays tools.

Look back at how you went about things in the past. Have you developed or are you still doing the same motions 12 months later?

If you are aspiring to be something more then what you currently are, what can I do to improve my position for the future? - by MrCharisma
You can not ensure tomorrows success today using yesterdays tools.

Look back at how you went about things in the past. Have you developed or are you still doing the same motions 12 months later?

If you are aspiring to be something more then what you currently are, what can I do to improve my position for the future?
I actually disagree with this statement that what you did yesterday will not work today or tomorrow. Perseverence and persistance and setting goals for yourself ALWAYS work. When you have passion for what you do, and keep your eyes open, people are successful.

As for Scrooge, not knowing the story I cannot comment on it, but I do know that generosity, charity, and appreciation of others seems to put one in perspective.

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
I actually disagree with this statement that what you did yesterday will not work today or tomorrow. Perseverence and persistance and setting goals for yourself ALWAYS work. When you have passion for what you do, and keep your eyes open, people are successful.

As for Scrooge, not knowing the story I cannot comment on it, but I do know that generosity, charity, and appreciation of others seems to put one in perspective.

Aloha... :cool:
Well stated. Coincidentally I'm engaged in a serious study on that topic as part of a new venture for one of my businesses. I've had some enlightening private conversations with some successful members here.

"Change" is a word that rears its head in a variety of discussions on selling. For one thing, we all sell change, don't we?

What I've uncovered from my own thoughts, and the thoughts of others who have demonstrated success, is that people are drawn to change when the status quo is providing discomfort and/or dissatisfaction. They seek a perceived reality which will alleviate those things.

Passion, perserverance, persistence, generosity, charity, and appreciation are NOT the seeds of dissatisfaction. Instead they have wonderful shelf life and they will take you through the changes that come at you from external sources. - by Ace Coldiron

What I've uncovered from my own thoughts, and the thoughts of others who have demonstrated success, is that people are drawn to change when the status quo is providing discomfort and/or dissatisfaction. They seek a perceived reality which will alleviate those things.
This is an interesting statement, not only for sales, but for life in general when you think about it. Somewhere buried in the recesses seem to be a philosopher...sn;

I was thinking of two young men when reading this, both disatified with their "status quo". One turned to video games for his perceived reality, the other enrolled in ROTC.

Merry Christmas.... :cool: - by rattus58
I disagree with both yourself Rattus and Ace.

I actually disagree with this statement that what you did yesterday will not work today or tomorrow.
"You can not ensure tomorrows success today using yesterdays tools."

The only thing consistant in life is change. At some point, be it today, tomorrow, next month, next year or next decade the will be a time where evolution will kick in. When what you currently are doing which proved to be successful, doesn't work anymore.

My point lies is that if you are happpy where you are, don't change (previously stated) but if you want to be something more then your current situation like a promotion, higher sales or lower cancels/complaints then something needs to change. You need to improve a skill. - by MrCharisma
I disagree with both yourself Rattus and Ace.

"You can not ensure tomorrows success today using yesterdays tools."

The only thing consistant in life is change. At some point, be it today, tomorrow, next month, next year or next decade the will be a time where evolution will kick in. When what you currently are doing which proved to be successful, doesn't work anymore.

My point lies is that if you are happpy where you are, don't change (previously stated) but if you want to be something more then your current situation like a promotion, higher sales or lower cancels/complaints then something needs to change. You need to improve a skill.
I'm not here to argue points, as I'm not a very good debater... however, your premise might be one based upon statics. I think that Ace may have captured essence of change versus ones personality with his very astute comments above... "What I've uncovered from my own thoughts, and the thoughts of others who have demonstrated success, is that people are drawn to change when the status quo is providing discomfort and/or dissatisfaction. They seek a perceived reality which will alleviate those things".

Related to my own comment

"Passion, perserverance, persistence, generosity, charity, and appreciation are NOT the seeds of dissatisfaction. Instead they have wonderful shelf life and they will take you through the changes that come at you from external sources" I think Ace presented a concept I hadn't consciously considered relating to change.

Much Aloha... Tom :cool: - by rattus58
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.