Home > Personal Selling > What's the best piece of sales advice you've ever been given?

What's the best piece of sales advice you've ever been given?

Hi All,

I'm a brand new member here and loving browsing the archives!

I own a salon and my mother passed down a piece of sales advice that has always tuck with me

"Two ears, one mouth - use them in that proportion" After all, people love to talk about themselves especially when I'm cutting their hair!

Anyhow, I'd love to start a thread that discusses the best piece of advice you've ever been given?

Go for it!

Look forward to your answers

Jenny - by jennymoore
I don't know that there is any "best piece" of sales advice I'd every received other than my dog staring me in the face each morning sayin.... get up dude... you've mouths to feed.... :)

Yer mom probably had it right.

I have a card riveted to my briefcase, so that every time I open it, I see "Smile. Be Sincere. Take the first Step".

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
Hello Jennymoore,
The best piece of advice ever given to me was to approach the client/s as if you were qualifying them for the exceptional services that you offer, as opposed to hoping for the acceptance of your service by your client. The flipping of those two outlooks has the power to change the polarity of an outcome 180 degrees. I use this philosophy (as I do all my other philosophies in sales) in life outside my work, and find it as perhaps the best piece of advice....period.

This philosophy was given to me through a book entitled "Beyond Positive Thinking" By Dr. Robert Anthony

Hope this was helpful!
-David - by DRIVEN82
I'm paraphrasing because the advice was given me on a very personal level. It came from my father.
Never lose touch with the actual user of your product.
That advice was given to me at a time when abbreviations like B2C ad B2B were never heard of.

The world of distribution has changed and the advice gathered meaning. But it was a catalyst for my entrenched belief that sales is about people selling to people. - by Ace Coldiron
Believe in your belief system and your ability. My parents taught me this - by rich34232
The best sales advice came from my parents who lived their life to one theme:

Have honesty and integrity - by peter-odonoghue
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.