Home > Personal Selling > Is it just my imagination or do "Sales" skills work in relationships too?

Is it just my imagination or do "Sales" skills work in relationships too?

I have only been involved in sales a very short time but i think i understand the Listen, Agree, Overcome, Re-Enthuse, Close priniciple. Lately i started applying those EXACT same principles when i have a disagreement with my wife and it makes us fight much less and be more happier together. Is it just my imagination or am i right? Also does a person who becomes a better salesman also changes personalitywise over a long period of time to be a more well liked individual in society? - by Bodybuilder83fl
Lately i started applying those EXACT same principles when i have a disagreement with my wife and it makes us fight much less and be more happier together. Is it just my imagination or am i right?
More than anything, selling is knowing how to relate to people, finding out what they need, and making progress. Those same principles are important in any interpersonal relationship. Selling is a way of looking at the world around us and at the other people around us, whether those people are customers, partners, bosses, employees, neighbors, or whatever. I think you're right on.

Also does a person who becomes a better salesman also changes personalitywise over a long period of time to be a more well liked individual in society?
I've never seen any documentation that salespeople who get better change their personality traits. But they might change their behavior. - by Skip Anderson
Bodybuilder83fl,

The skills you learn in the world of sales can be applied in many ways to the rest of your life...indeed!

Jeremy - by salescoach
Yes... in fact some time ago we actually had a thread about a guy who was dating a salesperson I think it was, she accused him of using a well known technique with her, and for the life of me I wish I could remember what the technique was but it struck me funny actually... :)

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
My advice is DON'T OVERDO IT 'cos when she wakes up to the fact she's being sold ... she's gonna slam ya !! - by Tony1905
I have found that a master salesperson is one who is focused on more of show they are than what they do. A person that has develped themselves to have strong interpersonal skills is going to excel in any arena in their life that involves people. In addition the attitude they have developed also roles over to their health and vitality. Sales is bar far one of the best professions to master oneself.
chrisyonker.com - by chrisyonker
Sales makes you a better communicator and a big part of a successful relationship is great communication, I not only find sales skills to improve my relationships, I also learn a lot and get a lot of sales tips from my partner and especially my niece and nephews. - by Smile
Sales is definitely like a relationship.

There are two parties both seeking to find a way to get a positive result for themselves.

At least one of the parties has expectations (often high or unrealistic) of the other person but will not tell the other person what they are!!! - by peter-odonoghue
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.