Home > Jobs > "negotiating Salary Plus Commission" Tips

"negotiating Salary Plus Commission" Tips

HELLO EVERYONE!
I am looking for as much advice between now, and next week when I get "THE BIG INTERVIEW" for a REALLY good job. I have never had "salary plus commission", and they would also provide a blackberry (company phone), company expense account, car expense account, and possible tuition re-imbursement. I am unsure of the benefits package, but salary is more important to me right now as I have done without benefits for a long time....not to mention I have a wedding to afford in less than 7 months!! I am also wondering if it is smart to negotiate commission percentage, and whether certain bargaining items are more valuable in the long run to prioritize over the others?
I am very aggressive, and have a good sense of confidence and "self-worth", so selling myself is not a problem....but I am wondering how to balance everything so that I do not seem ignorant to my potential future boss?

Always B2C....never B2B, wondering what my expectations should be!
Sincerely,
David
P.S. The company is W.A. Tompkins, they sell valves, pumps, conveyor systems, fillers, gaskets, controls, fittings, heat exchangers, homogenizers, separators, stainless steel silos, stainless steel tanks, and do equipment installation. Any information known is helpful!
- by DRIVEN82
Do NOT attempt to negotiate or question the commission percentage offered. Commission percentages are directly linked behind the scenes to gross profit which is sacred ground for companies. Such information is rarely fully disclosed to new employees. It could only hurt your chances. - by Ace Coldiron
Do NOT attempt to negotiate or question the commission percentage offered. Commission percentages are directly linked behind the scenes to gross profit which is sacred ground for companies. Such information is rarely fully disclosed to new employees. It could only hurt your chances.
Thank you Ace,
I greatly appreciate your insight, and will take your advice to heart....but would it be possible to clarify on the salary aspect of the equation, for that is the greatest source of my confusion. It is my goal to request enough salary to cover my living expenses and perhaps a little more (once again...I have no experience so I am unsure), perhaps 1500-2000 per month after taxes? I am just in fear that my inexperience will prove me "unrealistic" if not within the realm of the "typical range" for this situation.

Is it unrealistic to want the security of living expenses covered to that extent on account that I am looking to make this job my long-term career?

Thank you much for all of your feedback that you could offer,
-David A. Reilly
- by DRIVEN82
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.