Home > Technology > Tracking calls

Tracking calls

In my sales training way back when, we were always taught to always track your calls and conversations and to set a next step further down the line. This way you could always remember what you talked about etc.

When doing customer service I also tracked every conversation I had with customers so if they ever had any complaints I could go back to my note history easily and say "well we spoke on this day at this time and this is what we discussed"

So for all my sales career (12 years) I have always tracked every single one of my conversations (or as much as possible)

I've tracked for so long that I've become anal about it.

Am I the only one who is faithful to this or do other people do this?
I've done it for so long that I dont' even think about it anymore. I've had new people come into our small organization who aren't used to this and I'm having a hard time getting them to make their notes.

Just wondering what others' experiences on this is. - by Andrea
How successful has this tracking been for you in gaining new sales. Our property casualty business tracks every call primarily for CMA... which the personal of CYA...sn; We haven't used them for sales.

Aloha... Tom :cool: - by rattus58
Tracking calls is a must, especially if you are selling to repeat customers. Like you said, it refreshes your memory of what was last discussed, and when.

We use ACT! to track our activity with our accounts (and prospective accounts). If we want to get paid on an account, we need to prove that we have been in contact with them; kind of hard to do if you're not recording your activity!

I am not as diligentg as I should be in regards to recording my sales activites. I wish there were an easier way to get the information into ACT! Inputting data into ACT! often falls onto the back burner, pushed back by more (seemingly) urgent issues. - by AZrob
Tracking calls is a must, especially if you are selling to repeat customers. Like you said, it refreshes your memory of what was last discussed, and when.

We use ACT! to track our activity with our accounts (and prospective accounts). If we want to get paid on an account, we need to prove that we have been in contact with them; kind of hard to do if you're not recording your activity!

I am not as diligentg as I should be in regards to recording my sales activites. I wish there were an easier way to get the information into ACT! Inputting data into ACT! often falls onto the back burner, pushed back by more (seemingly) urgent issues.
That's why I have 3X5 cards... seems I get too dang busy... but... I do follow up each meeting with a "how goes it"... note.... and tho not all of them are good reading.. they all are instructive.

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
Wow, rockin the Old School with the 3x5s! If it works for you, stick with it. ACT! pretty much uses the same concept, but has many more functions that organize data, generate activity reports, document account history, and more. It might not be the best program, but it's the only one I've ever used. I just don't like entering the data! - by AZrob
Wow, rockin the Old School with the 3x5s! If it works for you, stick with it. ACT! pretty much uses the same concept, but has many more functions that organize data, generate activity reports, document account history, and more. It might not be the best program, but it's the only one I've ever used. I just don't like entering the data!
I've seriously considered act to the point of the order. I've both good and bad about Act... what I've hesitated about so far, and I'm in agreement that I NEED something better.

I'm a lot like you when it comes to entering data, but I've a 3X5 in a box about every meeting that doesn't tell me how many similar mistakes I made/make or how many proper approaches/agreements we made and how. Gotta look at em one by one.... :)

Keep talking... You might just get me to push the checkout button.

Much Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.