Home > Education > Retail Sales Training

Retail Sales Training

How would you define good personal selling at the retail level and what are the basic skills required to be effective in retail sales? - by Community Mailbox
Why would retail selling have any different standards with selling than any other type sales?

All sales takes the same basics skills ,building raport,trust engaing the client to own asking the proper questions. - by rich34232
How would you define good personal selling at the retail level and what are the basic skills required to be effective in retail sales?
Success in retail selling requires a different set of strategies than success in other forms of selling. However, many of the skill requirements are the same.

Good personal selling in retail is best defined as creating a good experience for the prospect/customer which distances yourself from the ever present competition. The ability to know how to compete is more vital in retail than in most other forms of selling. - by Ace Coldiron
Success in retail selling requires a different set of strategies than success in other forms of selling. However, many of the skill requirements are the same.

Good personal selling in retail is best defined as creating a good experience for the prospect/customer which distances yourself from the ever present competition. The ability to know how to compete is more vital in retail than in most other forms of selling.

I agree basic sales skills are universal however retail sales is much different from direct sales as an example.

To succeed in retail sales I believe you need to be different from the rest, simply asking a potential customer 'can I help you' simply is not going to cut it.

You need to create an experience for the customers, make them feel special go the extra mile, create a mood in your shop, stimulate the emotions and sensors as much as possible, and where you are going to succeed is by getting the customer buy more than what they first came in for. Have more cash points, have a great upsale system and build an ongoing relationship with your customers by collecting emails, or use social media like facebook, myspace etc to have a way of connecting and communicating with your customers after they have left your shop. - by Smile
With any type of sale the skill set will be similar.
What are retail sales? Is it going to Target, Walgreens and clothing stores? Retail sales cover a ton of opportunities. The strategies that are different are what? Is it the way the steps are taken? Is it in the performance? Is it due to a one call close?
B2B or B2C there is a need to discover everything that the sales professional can about the client. Understanding the clients behavior and motives and when there is no history with that client there is a need to discover history by asking questions to understand the client.

Highly successful sales professionals in retail build relationships, rapport, and trust. With each sale there must be a need, want, afford, and can use before the sale is satisfied. All types of sales need this in order to complete the sale.

The top sales professionals discover the clients need or want and then to help them find more needs or wants. It must fit into their budget. I then must give them value, benefits, and a solution to the issue. I could go on and on with the similarities.

Asking for referrals is a must with all types of sales the top retail sales professionals ask. Cold calling to discover more clients is a must if that company wants to remain vital.

Each client is different as each organization is different. How anyone sells to one organization does not mean that will work with the next so strategies change with the organizations and that holds true with the consumer.

I think the major difference is how each profession views the other. One places more importance over the other. Each thinks what they do is more complex then another professionals profession. When in fact top sales professionals have similar goals and do similar activities to reach those goals.

Strategy
Make contact
Set appointment
Gather information
Discover budget
Solution
Present solution
Authorize
Answer concerns and questions
Complete task or installation of solution
Collect payment
Maintain relationship for future opportunities.
I am not sure where the strategy is different.
- by rich34232
I am not sure where the strategy is different.
You're not alone. Most people would not be.

Even the so-called top sales professionals who represent manufacturers or distributors have a very difficult time understanding the strategy involved in bringing their products to the end user in retail selling.

The reason is not all that complicated. One of the components of strategy is the assessment of the market---what educators in strategy call "the terrain" or "ground." The market represented by retailers who wholesalers call on is not the same market that retailers sell to. So part of understanding strategy on those levels involves understanding distribution.

The often cited principle of "location location location" in retail also plays into the distinction between the strategies between B2C Retail and other selling organizations.

Lastly, there is certainly a difference between "them coming to you" and "you going to them." Strategy, which involves laying the groundwork would certainly vary.

Principles of selling and principles of strategy are not the same things. Both are lifelong studies for anyone who wants to excel at either. - by Ace Coldiron
Ace thanks for the clarification and expansion of the topic. For clarification I was not speaking on the marketing aspect within this sales topic.I am speaking on the actual selling aspect of the sales professional (skill level) and not from the organizations total sales effort aspect.

The information you have brought forward is solid information and spot on with the other parts of the organization working together to make a strong team.Marketing and distribution. Thanks for bringing that into the equation.

There are many other parts of the organization that make them a fine running machine that cannot be left out of this conversation. - by rich34232
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.