Home > Personal Selling > A Perspective for Every Business Owner

A Perspective for Every Business Owner

"Nobody who bought a drill actually wanted a drill. They wanted a hole. Therefore, if you want to sell drills, you should advertise information about making holes - NOT information about drills!" - by Team Building FL
That is so true. It's good to be reminded of this!

THX! - by Thufir
I agree... although that is pretty simplistic. Need and Want, Need and Luxury... also pretty simplistic. Who, what, when, where, why, how much, how many, and is there anything else... are also pretty simplistic approach to finding out Why you or I are here.

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
True for advertising and true for selling, TBF.

This is such a simple and basic concept that has been floating around forever (I wonder who first came up with this? Whever did = great job), but still salespeople have a strong desire to talk about the drill, not the hole, and we all need to reminded of this.

Skip - by Skip Anderson
"Nobody who bought a drill actually wanted a drill. They wanted a hole. Therefore, if you want to sell drills, you should advertise information about making holes - NOT information about drills!"
This quote originates from copywriter/internet marketer Perry Marshall. He goes on further to say that your information on holes (which you advertise as free) should go on to talk about the complexity of certain holes or considerations based on what the hole's purpose will be. It's then that you'd introduce that when you have a hole that needs to be drilled, you tell them the drill that you rely on. Seeing as you're their personal accepted authority on holes, they like you because you gave them something for free, and your report included great testimonials about the same drill from people just like them, what other drill could they possibly trust? What other drill salesperson could they possibly trust? Only your drill. Only you. - by MarcEnriquez
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.