Home > Referrals > How to Use Business Cards Effectively.

How to Use Business Cards Effectively.

I am an life insurance agent and I want to know on how to use your business cards to introduce yourself to prospects you meet at networking functions, social functions etc to generate business. What exactly should one say to the other person. I would appreciate if you can provide me with a script or a dialouge that a successful life insurance agent uses to generate business. To find if the other person is interested in buying a policy or interested in having a service etc. Or is open to hearing to an oppurtunity that I have to offer so that I can fix an appointment at a later date.
- by nandikasomu
I am an life insurance agent and I want to know on how to use your business cards to introduce yourself to prospects you meet at networking functions, social functions etc to generate business. What exactly should one say to the other person. I would appreciate if you can provide me with a script or a dialouge that a successful life insurance agent uses to generate business. To find if the other person is interested in buying a policy or interested in having a service etc. Or is open to hearing to an oppurtunity that I have to offer so that I can fix an appointment at a later date.
Hand them out to everyone you can and those you get in return, send them a one page brochure of what you do.

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
I would be careful about simply handing your business cards to everyone.

Particularly if they're unsolicited or you haven't had a chance to converse with folks.

Some people try to carpet bomb the networking events they attend thinking of it as a numbers game. There's a name among regular networkers for "that guy" - and it's not nice. I find that the best strategy for networking is to control the conversation by being the first to ask that magic question:

"So, what do you do?"

You see, when you find this out first, you'll be able to qualify the person as someone you could potentially do business with or get referrals from.

Engage them with questions relative to their interests and career to uncover opportunities for you to serve them.

When you answer the same question in kind, try to phrase what you do in a way that demonstrates a benefit the person you just spoke to.

Since you're a life insurance agent, and you might speak to, say, a print shop owner; you might not think of this as a particularly dangerous career. You may, however, discover that this person is a Harley Davidson enthusiast and goes riding with other HOG members every week - something his wife already gives him grief for.

"Your wife may not appreciate your passion - she may even think it's a bit selfish of you, but what I do is help husbands show just how much they actually do think of their family when they're out doing what they love to do." - by MarcEnriquez
"Your wife may not appreciate your passion - she may even think it's a bit selfish of you, but what I do is help husbands show just how much they actually do think of their family when they're out doing what they love to do."
This almost exact quote of yours reminded a couple of us just yesterday in fact, of a seminar we attended back in October of 1980 at Stratton Mountain in Vermont when we were talking about estate planning with some of the leaders of our company and therefore, industry, and some of the pitfalls of stereotyping.... the guy could be out on his Harley with a girlfriend in fact and trying to commit him to leaving the current a tidy sum in the event he died with his passion might not be foremost on his mind....stcktng;

I know what you're saying here and I agree with you about establishing a point of reference to handing out the card and asking for the opportunity to meet at some later date.

Much Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
the guy could be out on his Harley with a girlfriend in fact and trying to commit him to leaving the current a tidy sum in the event he died with his passion might not be foremost on his mind....
Ha! Very good point - we all have to be careful to determine what's really important to our prospects through our line of questioning - by MarcEnriquez
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.