Home > Resistance > Resistance to Status Quo

Resistance to Status Quo

One of the biggest sales challenges I have encountered is a customer that fears change. Let's say they have been using their current solution for 5 years and could benefit tremendously from your new innovative solution. They actually know there are solutions that could benefit their company but still do not want to change.

I have found several common details in each of these situations:
1. At least once in the past change created a negative impact on this person's world and they are reluctant to introducing anything that might impact them again
2. The cost of change to their company might change processes and procedures across other areas and they are not willing to walk down that road for some reason.
3. They believe they understand value change could bring - but they do not understand all the value across their whole company

I am interested to learn more about resistance to changing status quo. Anything you can add to this thread would be greatly appreciated.

Allan A. Lobeck - by allan.lobeck
As a copywriter, I have to anticipate resistance to change before the piece (whether printed or on the web) even goes out. I handle this sequentially.

The status quo is like a comfy couch.

What you have to do is show them how they're actually sitting on a tack with a mosquito on their arm that they failed to notice because they were too busy watching TV. Oh, and the dog is peeing on the rug.

You also have to show them how easy it would be to remove the tack, take care of the mosquito, even if dealing with the dog's bad habit requires a little more attention.

Afterwards, you'd show how your offer is more than a remedy but a benefit to them.

If the status quo is like sitting on a comfy couch, your solution is like taking the dog for a walk. It's not just good for them because they got the tack out of their rear, the mosquito left them alone, and the dog isn't peeing inside, but because of the cardiovascular and respiratory benefits to your prospect and his dog, the social benefits from seeing and possibly speaking to the neighbors, and the emotional and intellectual benefits of taking the time to reflect.

Then, as they're raising their hand out to you to help get them up off the couch, you really give them a good pull with another irresistable bonus for taking action. - by MarcEnriquez
I am interested to learn more about resistance to changing status quo. Anything you can add to this thread would be greatly appreciated.

Allan A. Lobeck
The half of the inertia phenomenon which describes things in place that want to stay in place is a force of resistance that salespeople are going to encounter.

Resistance is always met with creativity. Creativity in sales means tailoring the sales proposition to the specific customer needs. That process should take people by surprise, and for that reason prospects should be approached in a traditional manner. We must stand out at the end of the process. We seek momentum to transcend that inertia, and if we think in terms of "closing" as a progression of intent, we will put that prospect in motion. - by Ace Coldiron
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.