Home > Consumer Behavior > Sales Cycle vs. Buying Cycle

Sales Cycle vs. Buying Cycle

In your opinion is there a difference between the Sales Cycle and the Buying Cycle? What is the difference and how does an understanding of these 'cycles' assist you in your own sales practice? - by Community Mailbox
In your opinion is there a difference between the Sales Cycle and the Buying Cycle? What is the difference and how does an understanding of these 'cycles' assist you in your own sales practice?
Well first of all, I'd have to know what the difference is, and I don't. I've heard Joe Girard suggest itch cycles in autos, whereby about the time you get through paying for it, you buy another (today... then they used to pay cash). Actually, now that I think about this for a moment, how does an object that once cost 10% of what a home cost, now cost as much as a kit home and then self destruct over time? Oh well... thmbdn2;

However, Sales Cylces... I don't even know what they are. Buying Cycles... does when I get hungry I stop at Burger King Drive through count? Does when a new gun comes out, I have to have one count? A new bow? Titanium golf clubs... now that'll put me on the tour fer sure...

I'm sure that this stuff is important and I probably have some idea of what it is, but I don't recognize its importance by it's rightful name.

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
I'm sure that this stuff is important and I probably have some idea of what it is, but I don't recognize its importance by it's rightful name.
Part of the confusion, Tom, is that "buying cycle" is a term that is used to describe two completely different things.

I know buying cycle as it refers to my clients' replacement policy for certain long range consumables.

To me the sales cycle would be the selling process or agenda that operates ouside of the internal buying cycle but which has an outcome dependent on the management and resolution of the buying cycle.

I believe the words are being used here to describe the buying process in terms of the movement of time while certain pre-buying issues are resolved.

I have a current viewpoint that these terms and discussion are over-complicating some simple fundamentals that every salesperson should know.

However, if explaining it in new language is what it takes to get people to understand it, I'm all for it. - by Ace Coldiron
Here's my understanding:

A sales cycle includes all necessary phases of education to lead the client to the decision, not to simply buy the product, but to place (and maintain) trust in the business when it advises him/her to buy the product.

A buying cycle is based upon either or both the habits of the client or the discovery of a new or existing need (or want). It is what dictates (in the prospect's mind) whether or not he needs or wants to exchange money for something; whether or not they are "in the market" for that something.

An example of this is the psychology behind purchases being made immediately after salaries are dispensed - the majority of which are not based upon the careful planning and saving of money, but what is commonly described as "having something burning a hole in one's wallet." They have the money and just have to spend it.

It's an irresponsible cycle, but a buying cycle nonetheless.

When the two cycles are in alignment, the seller experiences the least resistance - because in fact, the seller is simply facilitating the client's "need to buy." - by MarcEnriquez
I want to pose a different question related to this thread.

To what extent do the buying cycle and sales cycle operate independent of one another? - by Ace Coldiron
I understand what a buying cycle is; it's the rhythm of need that a buyer has to manage. For example a household needs to buy food on a regular basis and that tends to fall into predicatble patterns that are regular and fairly rhythmic. Businesses have some similar rhythmic patterns. Yet I'm not so sure the term selling cycle really means much. Isn't it more of a sales process and not necessarily tied to a dependable rhythm. I mean customers can always go somerwhere else. In fact, if they're smart they do spread their purchases out as much as possible so that selling isn't quite as predicatable. - by ToddR
I understand what a buying cycle is; it's the rhythm of need that a buyer has to manage. For example a household needs to buy food on a regular basis and that tends to fall into predicatble patterns that are regular and fairly rhythmic. Businesses have some similar rhythmic patterns.
That certainly is a common definition of buying cycle. It's the replacement cycle usage of the term. However, in this discussion, buying cycle is referring to the process of purchasing with time and steps and issue management as factors. - by Gary A Boye
Where does it say that? In your imagination? - by ToddR
Here is what I meant by Buying Cycle and Sales Cycle:
  • Sales Cycle - Length of time from Initial Contact to Close.
  • Buying Cycle - The phases a person progresses through when making decisions aka Decision Process.
- by Community Mailbox
Where does it say that? In your imagination?
It says that in my post, exactly where you read it. If you need further clarification, my post was based on the actual real life usages of the term in my years in sales, sales management, and sales education.

Is it supposed to say that somewhere else? Tell us where? - by Gary A Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.