Home > Education > What are your thoughts pertaining to this remark?

What are your thoughts pertaining to this remark?

Two days ago I was in a conversation with a very successful professional who is in Insurance/Financial planning. The topic was sales education. He made the following observation:
"The real stuff that makes people super successful in selling is over the heads of the majority of sales trainers."
Thoughts? - by Gary A Boye
Two days ago I was in a conversation with a very successful professional who is in Insurance/Financial planning. The topic was sales education. He made the following observation:
"The real stuff that makes people super successful in selling is over the heads of the majority of sales trainers."
Thoughts?
In the case of insurance, that's true. Their are very few insurance companies who invest in their agents. That is changing with some companies. Aflac is making a major training shift in their paradigm, so we'll see how that goes.

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
In the case of insurance, that's true. Their are very few insurance companies who invest in their agents. That is changing with some companies. Aflac is making a major training shift in their paradigm, so we'll see how that goes.

Aloha... :cool:
How do you relate Aflac's management decision to the remark cited in the topic? - by Gary A Boye
Thoughts?
I can see how some people might think that the majority of sales trainers have not been super successful in selling which would imply that the "real stuff" is over their heads. - by Jeff Blackwell
How do you relate Aflac's management decision to the remark cited in the topic?
I've no idea yet.... there first sales event was yesterday and I was unfortunately MIA, but the fact that they MADE a decision addressing sales and doing it nationally is a major departure from their old system.

So we'll see, but I'm happy to see that they are taking "sales" seriously.

Much Aloha... Tom :cool: - by rattus58
Of course, being a sales trainer who has devoted his career to helping others maximize their sales performance, I am skeptical of his comment. So I would ask the individual the following questions:

1. What is the "real stuff" you are speaking of.

2. How many sales trainers do you know sufficiently enough about to be able to make this statement? 5? 10? 1000? Name them. How many sales trainers are there in the world? How many sales trainers is the "real stuff" over their heads?

3. Which sales trainers do you think it's over their heads? What proof do you have?

Skip Anderson
Defender of Sales Trainers - by Skip Anderson
Of course, being a sales trainer who has devoted his career to helping others maximize their sales performance, I am skeptical of his comment. So I would ask the individual the following questions:

1. What is the "real stuff" you are speaking of.

2. How many sales trainers do you know sufficiently enough about to be able to make this statement? 5? 10? 1000? Name them. How many sales trainers are there in the world? How many sales trainers is the "real stuff" over their heads?

3. Which sales trainers do you think it's over their heads? What proof do you have?

Skip Anderson
Defender of Sales Trainers
Your points are well taken. He did name three prominent authors on which he based his negative view. It would not be proper, I think, to name them here. He spoke very positively about Neil Rackham who he considered to be an exception.

As to your question, "How many sales trainers are there in the world?", in fairness, I'm not sure that anybody could answer that with a degree of accuracy. I suspect that there are many nowadays. - by Gary A Boye
Your points are well taken. He did name three prominent authors on which he based his negative view. It would not be proper, I think, to name them here. He spoke very positively about Neil Rackham who he considered to be an exception.

As to your question, "How many sales trainers are there in the world?", in fairness, I'm not sure that anybody could answer that with a degree of accuracy. I suspect that there are many nowadays.
Sales trainers come in every stripe, but it's hard to teach someone how to fly if you've never been in an airplane or to hunt, if you've never hunted. Mynah birds and parrots can regurgitate information, but until you've learned how to do it with a cracker, you've not experienced the "rea sale".

Much Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
All of the sales trainers that I have been around, listened to, and read have instilled in me a desire to want to go farther with their ideas. I am not sure there is any trainer out there that can give me everything they have learned whether it is a one day event or four day or more training session. The questions that the trainers have raised then become my obligation to investigate and learn more.

I can understand the statement and I would tend to look at training as expanding my mind to include other possibilities that I have not included in the past. Once I have started to expand my knowledge this tends to lead me to a greater understanding and more questions that I am required to discover the answers on my own. Is it really over their heads or is the main idea to put my own abilities to task to learn as much as I possibly can.

The worst trainer I have heard has given me ideas
. - by rich34232
Thoughts?
I can agree with this. Not sure how to explain it though. Hmmm, let me try.

There are people in every field that are super gifted. In sales most of the super successful category is made up of them. If you're in that category, being a sales trainer isn't going to make you the same money you can utilizing your true skill, at that level at least. There are some exceptions I'm sure.

Not taking anything away from teachers/coaches/et... They are probably way better at teaching than the most superior saleman. Two different monsters is all i'm saying. To be honest I don't know much about sales training
and what it pays. I'm sure it pays good so please don't think i'm bashing or putting them down.
//waiver// This is just my opinion. - by Justin Time
I agree with the opening quote. The "Real" stuff that makes those super-successful is that which sales trainers and coaches can not teach. If you do not have the "internal push" to be great at the selling game..if you are not willing to sharpen your selling skills...if you are not willing to learn the business your prospective clients are in, and learn how to be a resource to your customer, then even the training greats like Skip or Ace wont make you super-successful. The "Real" stuff is the stuff you should have when you walk in the door. I should be careful here in speaking for them; perhaps Skip and Ace CAN work miracles. I, as a sales coach, can not in this situation. - by David Mack
So much more to add to this. I think even the best saleman still need to sharpen up. There's always things to learn, they wont ever know it all. This is where trainers/coaches come in. The coach may enlighten him in other areas.

Even Tiger Woods has a coach/trainer.
Is the Coach better than him - No
Does Tiger learn from him - Yes.
Will Tiger ever Coach or train - Probably not. - by Justin Time
...then even the training greats like Skip or Ace wont make you super-successful. The "Real" stuff is the stuff you should have when you walk in the door. I should be careful here in speaking for them; perhaps Skip and Ace CAN work miracles. I, as a sales coach, can not in this situation.
I have never thought of myself as a "training great" and have never nurtured the desire to be thought of as such--and never will.

There isn't a person here that cannot "work miracles" in their own life. - by Ace Coldiron
Good thoughts, Ace. I might also quote a phrase from my father:

"The world sees that which you cannot". I appreciate your mindset. - by David Mack
I agree with the opening quote. The "Real" stuff that makes those super-successful is that which sales trainers and coaches can not teach. The "Real" stuff is the stuff you should have when you walk in the door. I
Two questions for David and the community, and an comment:

Comment: Talent is a huge benefit in learning any skill, whether it be selling or something else. I don't discount this benefit in the sales profession any more than I do in golf, basketball, medicine, research, writing, etc.

Question 1: Do you think this "real stuff" can be quantified?

Question 2: If so, what do you think the "real stuff" is that some people have that others don't or can't get through training?

Skip Anderson - by Skip Anderson
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.