Home > Closing > The Porcupine Close

The Porcupine Close

The Porcupine Close was mentioned in another thread. Can anyone give an example of the Porcupine Close in action and give an idea of why this is an effective close and when its use is most appropriate? - by Community Mailbox
The Porcupine Close was mentioned in another thread. Can anyone give an example of the Porcupine Close in action and give an idea of why this is an effective close and when its use is most appropriate?
I'm not sure of this, but I think that if someone says to you, "have you this printer in a compact laser model that I can keep in my car" Youdasalesguy.... Yes/no/maybe so but if we have it in stock is this what you want to take home with you today?

Been a long time since I read hopkins.. but I think this is about right... ya think?

Aloha....:cool: - by rattus58
I find the Porcupine Close very effective in keeping control,getting minor agreements and leading the prospect to the sale.
prospect:can my wife make use of my loyalty card
you :will your wife be needing to make use of the card ?
basic Tom Hopkins stuff that I use to train my consultants with and can be very effective.
Positive Regards - by salesdog
I'm not sure of this, but I think that if someone says to you, "have you this printer in a compact laser model that I can keep in my car" Youdasalesguy.... Yes/no/maybe so but if we have it in stock is this what you want to take home with you today?

Been a long time since I read hopkins.. but I think this is about right... ya think?

Aloha....:cool:
That is not an example of an effective "close" imo. Its a hybrid of an assumptive close which jumps ahead of the sales process and why would you want to do that? - by Gary A Boye
From real life:

What's delivery like?
When would you need it by?
Within 2 weeks.
Two weeks---that would be by the 15th, right?
Yes.
Does the 12th work?
The 12th works.
I'll book it now. Is that OK?

That's called conversation. Its the way humans communicate. Its the way sales are made. - by Gary A Boye
From Hopkins softcover page 202 3. PORCUPINE (closes)

"Here's another technique you already know from previous chapters. It's a terrific test close.

The prospect says, "Does that system come with the multiplex unit on the side?"

Your answer. "Do you want your system to have the multiplex unit on the side? "

When they say yes, they've bought.

Automobiles again. She's walking through the your lot looking at colors. All of a sudden, the lady stops and points at a car. "The four-on-the-floor I think I'm interested in, do you have it in that shade of blue?"

The situation occurs thousands of times a day. The average knight of the car lot says, "If we don't have it in Morning-Surf Blue, I can sure call around and get one for you in a big hurry." And what does he have? Zilch.

But you answer, "Bernice, do you want it in Morning-Surf Blue?"

What's she going to say? Bernice has already told you that she's interested in the four-on-the-floor, and she likes that color.

When she says yes, hand her the keys."

Looking at my from memory example above, and given this example here, I fail to find much distinction other than I'm being a little more realistic, in my opinion of myself, because if you don't see it on the lot how do you "hand her the keys"?

Other examples from page 29-30.

Prospect: "Will this insurance policy have a cash value?"
You: "Is having cash value in the policy on of your concerns?"
Prospect: Absolutely not. I don't want to pay anything extra for cash value."

There is discussion of being able to smoke out wants and desires with the porcupine.. such as the cash value question.

one more...

Prospect: "Can we get this one in pink?"
You: "Would you like it in pink?"

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
I'm familiar with Hopkins and the book that bears his name. - by Gary A Boye
I'm familiar with Hopkins and the book that bears his name.

Aloha....:cool:
That is not an example of an effective "close" imo. Its a hybrid of an assumptive close which jumps ahead of the sales process and why would you want to do that?
Why then are the "porcupine examples above" any different than what I, apparently erroneously, considered a porcupine?

Also, while we're at it, Hopkins brought up the situation or potential of the Blue 4 on the floor not being there... how do you give them the keys if they may not have it on the lot?

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.