Home > Resistance > Crazy Prospect Response - I Can't Believe They're Serious!

Crazy Prospect Response - I Can't Believe They're Serious!

I sell a special marketing service for about 3 to 5 GRAND, and on average I can generate $30,000 to $100,000 in net profit for my clients. The problem is, I keep getting told, "That's not in our budget" or "That's more than what we usually pay for marketing help."

I also offer a money back guarantee - none of my competitors offer this! So there's zero risk to do it. Plus there's virtually no work on the client's part, and this doesn't disrupt their current marketing initiatives.

And yet, they whine about how they don't want to pay 3k to 5k to make $30,000 to $100,000. I'm hearing this way, way too much - even from very large corporations. How do you deal with this? - by CzechForce
I sell a special marketing service for about 3 to 5 GRAND, and on average I can generate $30,000 to $100,000 in net profit for my clients. The problem is, I keep getting told, "That's not in our budget" or "That's more than what we usually pay for marketing help."

I also offer a money back guarantee - none of my competitors offer this! So there's zero risk to do it. Plus there's virtually no work on the client's part, and this doesn't disrupt their current marketing initiatives.

And yet, they whine about how they don't want to pay 3k to 5k to make $30,000 to $100,000. I'm hearing this way, way too much - even from very large corporations. How do you deal with this?
Well let's see.... zero risk, money back guarantee, $30-$100K marketing possibilities... what's not to like?

First off, though, since you consider their reluctance "whining", your attitude towards them might somehow be being "picked up" in your discussions with your prospective clients.

Much Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
It sounds like the client does not perceive your pitch as credible. In other words, they don't believe you.

Have you produced the same results for another business just like theirs in the same area? Work that into your initial opening statement and see what happens. - by DaveB
It sounds like the client does not perceive your pitch as credible. In other words, they don't believe you.
Exactly my thoughts DaveB. - by MrCharisma
Rather than to hit your buyer with a large expenditure that no one will want to spend, it makes more sense to partner with them as to HOW you can save them money. Build value so they can see why they should go with your product/service. - by Guru4sale
I think rattus got it right.

If your post read something like...

The customers are telling me it's "not in their budget" so maybe my sales process is not as good as it could be....what am I doing wrong...

Rather than blaming the customers for whinging....

When you sell for a living you have to remember it's their party, their rules....if your sales process is failing then you probably need to look inwards (at your process) rather than looking outwards....it's not their fault......it's YOUR fault.

The responses you are getting are not crazy at all, they strike me as being perfectly reasonable and logical. I think your reaction to their objection is a bit crazy though.

. - by helisell
I'd be curious to know if you have any buying triggers in your messaging. Buying triggers can pull people in and greatly increase the likelihood of a sale when you have a rock-solid value proposition as you've stated here. For example, social proof is one - i.e., people look to other people for clues on how to respond to things. Scarcity is another one - if people believe there is less of something available - they are more likely to buy (think of the "hot" toy every year at Christmas).

In other posts here I've talked about the likeability factor in terms of how important it is to build rapport with a prospect. There are several other triggers that are talked about in sales training and consumer behavior literature. You might want to consider incorporating a few into your next cold calls and appointments and see if you get better responses. Good luck!

How you communicate determines your success! - by CoachMaria
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.