Home > Education > Sales Theory and Practice

Sales Theory and Practice

From your experience in the field of sales, what do you consider to be the single biggest sales theory (or myth) that in practice does not hold true? - by Community Mailbox
Well I'm not saying this doesn't hold true, but it isn't just automatic, and that is that if you make the calls you get the sales.

I agree that activity is the most important ingredient in the numbers, but just making calls doesn't make sales. That's why I'm here, why I spent thousands on Hopkins, Tracy, and True. Ziglar, Carnegie and Gitmore... or is it Gitomer... whatever... That's why I'm here - by rattus58
The biggest myth in sales is that you can do it without training.

Sales people who think they can be successful without training are fooling themselves. With the competition in the marketplace - more often than not it is not the best product or service that wins the prospect's business, but the best sales person.

This is the also the lie of multi-level marketing. That is why 99.9% of people who go into it fail. They are told they make a six figure income by just "sharing" with their friends and family. It is foolish to think anyone can just be highly successful in sales without training. - by Harold
I agree. Handling an objection might be a great feeling, but in my point of view the only way to have an objection met is if you come to understanding and agreement.

My original disregard for books/chapters on handling objections, was that it was too much of a clinic, like taking a shot in an underground range. If your bullet hits right, move the front sight further right/the rear sight left or a combination of both. Doesn't teach you a thing about shooting crosswind in a gale.

I admit some objections are pretty much a function of the human condition and the point here would be to clarify the objection however, we're talking about myths.. sales, in my opinion, is a process of finding out what they need, want, or will buy on the one hand, and our ability to get them to agree to buy it from us on the other - by rattus58
My turn.

I believe the biggest myth in selling which crosses over into that related field, "sales training" is the validity of the term "sales professional."

I rarely use the term. I prefer "professionals who sell."

"Sales professional" is a term that became popular a few years ago at a point where it had previously lost its meaning. The direct sales mercenaries of decades ago were sales professionals. The same guy selling vacuum cleaners door to door could use the same skills selling pots and pans.

Today selling requires professionalism in the area of the products, services, and ideas being sold. You have to be a source who knows your stuff--not a grab bag of techniques. If I need some plumbing services performed I want someone who knows plumbing and knows it well. The same with insurance, advertising, dental work, or legal services. - by Gary A Boye
From your experience in the field of sales, what do you consider to be the single biggest sales theory (or myth) that in practice does not hold true?
For me, all sales theories are true and none of them are true.

The reason: not one single model or technique can possibly fit every prospect and also correctly serve the product or service being sold. Rather, it takes segments of many theoretical approaches by the sales rep that closes the sale.

Next, what works for one sales rep may not work for another. For every sales rep there is a different delivery style along with a different personal image.

Once a new sales rep is exposed to many sales approaches, it is up to that person to decide what works best for them and this takes time.

What would happen to believability if John Wayne spoke the lines from Pee Wee Herman, and visa versa?

Just because the lines are the same that does not guarantee the same meaning will be heard. Sales is a holistic dynamic.

Good question. - by John Voris
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.