Home > Resistance > "Look, I'm not interested!" ... I wonder if I'm ticking them off

"Look, I'm not interested!" ... I wonder if I'm ticking them off

Here's the situation.

I'm calling leads to set appointments for a time when I can give them my sales presentation.

So the guy comes on the phone, and I tell him how I have a way to significantly boost his sales, and if we could meet on a phone to see if this marketing strategy will fit him ...

... he replies "I'm not interested!"

... I then say, "What, you're not interested in increasing your profits?!"

It's only worked once or twice to get more interest but lately I'm wondering if when you're setting appts to give your sales presentation and you get hit with "I'm not interested" or "No thanks" ... I'm wondering if you should just pass on them rather than asking why they're not interested?

What is the right course of action? - by CzechForce
There are three possibilities:

1. The buyer's perception of your initial pitch is that it is not sufficiently credible or not seen as containing sufficient value

2. The buyer understands your value proposition and for reasons unknown to you he truly is not interested.

3. The buyer does not want to deal with a sales call at that moment and simply shuts down.

I would tune up your initial pitch and see what happens. - by DaveB
What do you mean by leads? Are you cold calling a list of suspects? Or, are you calling actual 'leads'. If it's a lead you may have simply caught him at a bad time. Try asking if you can email some details and follow up with a call during the following week. However, If it's happening to you more often than not I agree with DaveB. - by Neil Porter
If you are unsure of the approach you can try other techniques.

A rule of thumb is to try out each new technique 10 times and than evaluate it. That way you might find other ways of responding that work better.

My advice is to try asking; Why aren't you interested?

They usually answer and it gives you a chance to sell. - by LookingDaniel
There are three possibilities:

1. The buyer's perception of your initial pitch is that it is not sufficiently credible or not seen as containing sufficient value

2. The buyer understands your value proposition and for reasons unknown to you he truly is not interested.

3. The buyer does not want to deal with a sales call at that moment and simply shuts down.

I would tune up your initial pitch and see what happens.
I get this but what is the protocol for 2. and 3.? Usually if someone says "im not interested" or "we're fine thanks" that is a cue to leave and not more ask questions.. so just wondering if there's a way to recover from this without further irritating the buyer? - by sales_ace
perhaps you should show us the pitch that you are using. I am sure that someone here can offer you some valuable suggestions. - by salesfist
How about talking about the benefits of what you are selling and including 3rd party into your conversation (other clients used us because we improved their sales numbers by 27%...). - by AlenMajer
I recommend trying the "takeaway close". Something along the lines of: "Listen, I don't know if this is for you...but many people in your field/industry have been having massive success with this"....

Suddenly they will think, "what do you mean this isn't for me? Of course it's for me, especially if others have been having massive success!" (and deep inside they are thinking...."i want to have massive success too).... - by mgrigsby
I recommend trying the "takeaway close". Something along the lines of: "Listen, I don't know if this is for you...but many people in your field/industry have been having massive success with this"....

Suddenly they will think, "what do you mean this isn't for me? Of course it's for me, especially if others have been having massive success!" (and deep inside they are thinking...."i want to have massive success too)....
I want to expand on this post because a viable introduction to a sales engagement has been exampled here.

First, because perhaps it's not being taught correctly in your Network Marketing (MLM) company, I want to correct/refine the thought. It is NOT a "close." Neither does it represent a "take away close."

Second, with regard to what "they will think", you don't know what they think. Selling is not mind reading.

That said, when used as an intro, it is an honest an effective way to start a conversation about your product, service, or opportunity. - by Gary A Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.