Home > Cold Calling > Working for Free

Working for Free

I'm working for straight commission selling Kirby vacuum cleaners door-to-door. I've made between fifteen and twenty in-home demonstrations over the course of a couple of weeks of twelve hour days. I've had one sale during that time which paid me about $170. Some sales reps sell a vacuum every day. They tell me I'm not sufficiently enthusiastic. I honestly believe the Kirby vacuum is a superb machine and is worth every cent of the $2,600+ price. Please advise me as you see fit. I will monitor this thread and try to answer whatever questions you may want to ask to sufficiently understand my situation. - by SoCalSalesman
I'm working for straight commission selling Kirby vacuum cleaners door-to-door. I've made between fifteen and twenty in-home demonstrations over the course of a couple of weeks of twelve hour days. I've had one sale during that time which paid me about $170. Some sales reps sell a vacuum every day. They tell me I'm not sufficiently enthusiastic. I honestly believe the Kirby vacuum is a superb machine and is worth every cent of the $2,600+ price. Please advise me as you see fit. I will monitor this thread and try to answer whatever questions you may want to ask to sufficiently understand my situation.
I'd ask to go along with one of the other guys then have him come along with you. Split your commission with him if you two make a sale when he comes along with you.

Much Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
Can you elaborate on your suggestion? Do you mean that this other person should take over the sale if it looks like I'm losing the customer's interest? - by SoCalSalesman
Can you elaborate on your suggestion? Do you mean that this other person should take over the sale if it looks like I'm losing the customer's interest?
I'm saying that you should go along with successful salesmen in order to be successful. I'm also saying, that if you're in a presentation and you're losing it, since I'm sure he'd like to get paid for his efforts, that if he needs to take over, let him and learn. Keep a notepad with you or tape the presentations that he does.

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
The company actually has a new sales rep sit in on another rep's demonstration a couple of times (although there's no guarantee the one being watched is any good). Your suggestion to ask to watch more demonstrations sounds very logical. I have just the rep in mind to watch. I'll ask about watching some of her demonstrations. The ones in English, anyway. - by SoCalSalesman
I'm saying that you should go along with successful salesmen in order to be successful. I'm also saying, that if you're in a presentation and you're losing it, since I'm sure he'd like to get paid for his efforts, that if he needs to take over, let him and learn. Keep a notepad with you or tape the presentations that he does.

Aloha... :cool:
Couldn't agree more.

It's also important to understand not what he does, but rather why he does it.

At the very worst, organise a time where you are able to do some role playing and get him to improve your presentation. - by MrCharisma
Can you say how your typical sales call goes (- what you say and what the prospect says verbatim)?

Can you give vital stats of how many calls you make per day, how many result in demo, how many in post-demo discussions, and then to sales?

This way you'll get the review of your sales calls by many successful salespersons here.

Ganesan. - by ezynes
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.