Home > Direct Marketing > Telephone Solicitation

Telephone Solicitation

In my job we are asked to make cold calls via the telephone. This is one of the parts of my job that I dislike the most.

It seems like whenever I call either nobody is home or they are rude.

Does anyone else have the same experience? - by Gilbert
I think that comes with the territory.

My advice... keep on dialing for dollars. :D - by WobblyBox
Telephone Soliciting to a home is difficult, try not to take it personally. Be rude back to them, AFTER YOU HANG UP and never out loud!:D Make a game of it. - by Doc MC
We make a ton of calls everyday. Here's what I do. I know I'm going to make one-hundred calls whether I want to or not. So I just get through it as quick as I can. If people don't answer that's okay. One less call to make. If people are rude and hang up. That's okay. One less call to make. Before I know it, my calls are done and I've made a few appointments.

But hey, that's just me. :D - by SEOMyth
In my job we are asked to make cold calls via the telephone. This is one of the parts of my job that I dislike the most.

Does anyone else have the same experience?
My advice would be to focus on the positive experiences. Keep your mind on what you want and off of what you don't want. ;) - by Jolly Roger
I forgot to say thank you so, "Thank you" for the great input. :) - by Gilbert
being the one who got called i can give a bit of advise is dont be pushy because A lot of Operators who do this are very Pushy if they seem to resist approach softly and dont Push just my 2 cents cause some times i get once that really push and i just hang up they approach to strong and to pushy without giving breathing room and another 2 cents is exsplain everything thurly because most of the time those who call talk so fast and then so you wana do it? and im standing there thinking what do i wana do - by Sanddollar
being the one who got called i can give a bit of advise is dont be pushy because A lot of Operators who do this are very Pushy if they seem to resist approach softly and dont Push...
I received a Telemarketing call yesterday and noticed that the caller wouldn't take "No" for an answer. This is what I consider to be "pushy". Geesh... when will telemarketers get the message. :( - by SpeedRacer

Does anyone else have the same experience?
I'm curious Gilbert, do you make any sales as a direct result of this? - by RainMaker
I'm curious Gilbert, do you make any sales as a direct result of this?
A direct results of telephone cold calls? - by Gilbert
A direct results of telephone cold calls?
Yes. They are rude or not home, but is it worth it? Do you get sales, too? - by RainMaker
Yes. They are rude or not home, but is it worth it? Do you get sales, too?
Sure telephone cold calling works. If it didn't there wouldn't be a need for a "Do Not Call" list. :) - by Gilbert
We
Sure telephone cold calling works. If it didn't there wouldn't be a need for a "Do Not Call" list. :)
Well, then, I guess just buck up and try the good advice from rest of the gang. I wish everyone (who feels like me about being contacted in the sanctuary of my home by a telephone solicitor) would have the good sense to put themselves on the Do Not Call list because that would make your job more pleasant. ;) - by RainMaker
I wish everyone (who feels like me about being contacted in the sanctuary of my home by a telephone solicitor) would have the good sense to put themselves on the Do Not Call list because that would make your job more pleasant. ;)
Unfortunately the two are not connected. Now if you could get all of the rude folk to register that might be different. :D - by Gilbert
Unfortunately the two are not connected. Now if you could get all of the rude folk to register that might be different. :D
No. I think it would be the STUPID people who need to register. Presumably they are rude because they are mad that you called. And yet....they are not on the Do Not Call list. They aint no rocket scientists. - by RainMaker
No. I think it would be the STUPID people who need to register. Presumably they are rude because they are mad that you called. And yet....they are not on the Do Not Call list. They aint no rocket scientists.
Last year I read and hear about a study where test after test showed that stupid people (as measured by an aptitude test I think) thought they were smarter than everyone else. :eek: - by Gilbert
Cold calling can definitely be a tiresome & frustrating line of work. You will find very rude people because not many people want to be solicited if they haven't asked for the product/service. You can be effective if you keeping plugging on through the rejection and dial those numbers. - by wlctrent
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.