Home > Jobs > Next career move, advice sought

Next career move, advice sought

Hi, I am seeking some expert advice with regards to my next career move. I only have about 15 month sales experience, 3 months in telco and 12 in retail, but I am bored with my current role and feel I should move on to develop my skills more rapidly and increase my earnings. I donítí have a firm idea where I want to go, but to give you an idea Iím considering B2B, insurance, recruitment, advertising/media and retail banking (among others) as possible areas of interest. I definitely want my next job to have more focus on developing relationships with clients (I have no experience here) and preferably in the B2B sector. Based on your experience and expertise, what advice would you have for someone who is still relatively new to sales experience wise yet has a proven ability to sell? Which fields/industries do you think would offer someone like myself good training and opportunities to rise to the next level? Should I stick with SME or look for corporate jobs and training? Any advice you have will be much appreciated. - by sales_ace
Hi, I am seeking some expert advice with regards to my next career move. I only have about 15 month sales experience, 3 months in telco and 12 in retail, but I am bored with my current role and feel I should move on to develop my skills more rapidly and increase my earnings. I donítí have a firm idea where I want to go, but to give you an idea Iím considering B2B, insurance, recruitment, advertising/media and retail banking (among others) as possible areas of interest. I definitely want my next job to have more focus on developing relationships with clients (I have no experience here) and preferably in the B2B sector. Based on your experience and expertise, what advice would you have for someone who is still relatively new to sales experience wise yet has a proven ability to sell? Which fields/industries do you think would offer someone like myself good training and opportunities to rise to the next level? Should I stick with SME or look for corporate jobs and training? Any advice you have will be much appreciated.
Insurance, particularly Employee benefits is a great way to start and gives you the stepping stones needed to move up through management into the top layers of management.

Much Aloha.. :cool: - by rattus58
I would suggest doing SME/B2B. I truly believe anyone can do sales (not always well) but it takes something special to be able to walk into an educated prospects shop and attempt to win them over with your product. If done well this can lead to jobs paying 6 digits... - by MrCharisma
Thanks. I've thought about insurance, but not too familiar with the industry. Where do you suggest I start? There aren't many jobs advertised for insurance sales, except for the inbound customer service/sales types. I'd prefer something that was more than just taking phone calls and giving quotes over the phone, I'd really like get out and meet businesspeople and start building a network. - by sales_ace
Thanks. I've thought about insurance, but not too familiar with the industry. Where do you suggest I start? There aren't many jobs advertised for insurance sales, except for the inbound customer service/sales types. I'd prefer something that was more than just taking phone calls and giving quotes over the phone, I'd really like get out and meet businesspeople and start building a network.
Aflac, TransAmerica, Colonial, Allstate all are big in the Employee Benefits Arena. Aflac will give you some training but I'm not sure aobut the rest. I've been with Aflac now going on 10 years.

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
My advice would be two-fold.

First, if you want to have a career in sales, resolve to spend the time and money to develop yourself. This means that you read books, attend seminars and simply strive to become the best person and sales person you can be.

Second, I would explore what you would like to sell. What products or services are you passionate about. Sell something you love! Why seek out a job or industry that you are not passionate about. Follow you passions and the money will follow.

Best of Luck! - by Harold
Set Selling aside for the moment, or moments, and see if you can bring out from inside yourself an endeavour, a skill, a profession, a contribution, or a career path that would engage your passion. If you can locate that inside yourself, then combine that with a commitment to be the best you can be in bringing your passion to the world by selling.

You will never be "bored" again.

The day of the mercenary salesperson is over. The future belongs to those who become professionals who sell. - by Gary A Boye
Thanks all. That's good advice Gary, it's important to love what you're selling. I think I will stick with either insurance/banking or advertising/media sales. Does anyone have any advice for getting a break in these industries? Of course I would just ask Rattus for a job but I should note I am in Australia and don't know of any of those companies. :P I've had a look online and it seems there's limited opportunities in either industry being advertised but of course there's always the hidden job market to exploit, so do you think it would be wise to just get on the phone and just cold call companies? Plus I'm rubbish at cover letters and much better at talking anyway. - by sales_ace
Thanks all. That's good advice Gary, it's important to love what you're selling. I think I will stick with either insurance/banking or advertising/media sales. Does anyone have any advice for getting a break in these industries? Of course I would just ask Rattus for a job but I should note I am in Australia and don't know of any of those companies. :P I've had a look online and it seems there's limited opportunities in either industry being advertised but of course there's always the hidden job market to exploit, so do you think it would be wise to just get on the phone and just cold call companies? Plus I'm rubbish at cover letters and much better at talking anyway.
Where abouts in Australia boss? - by MrCharisma
Thanks all. That's good advice Gary, it's important to love what you're selling. I think I will stick with either insurance/banking or advertising/media sales. Does anyone have any advice for getting a break in these industries? Of course I would just ask Rattus for a job but I should note I am in Australia and don't know of any of those companies. :P I've had a look online and it seems there's limited opportunities in either industry being advertised but of course there's always the hidden job market to exploit, so do you think it would be wise to just get on the phone and just cold call companies? Plus I'm rubbish at cover letters and much better at talking anyway.
Sales_ace, the absolutely most critical question you have to ask in a sales career is one you ask yourself. It's this:
Am I the right person selling the right product for the right reasons?
That is the filter through which all career decisions in sales must be made.

Whether in insurance or in advertising, one thing remains clear. Good people are hard to find. And--don't kid yourself--the people doing the hiring know that.

With regard to this comment: "Plus I'm rubbish at cover letters and much better at talking anyway."

If you are deficient in writing skills, it will impede your overall success in sales. Do something about that. - by Gary A Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.