Home > Jobs > How does your commision scheme work and am I getting a short straw?

How does your commision scheme work and am I getting a short straw?

Hi Guys,

Just a question for you all how does your commision/ote scheme work? The reason i am interested in this is because I will be having my 6 month appraisal coming up soon and I think that my commision scheme isn't up to scratch and I want to discuss it with my director. I have to hit quite a hard target before I then get 10% of each sale over that and from what I have heard from a couple of friends in sales they tell me they get a % of every sale and then an even higher bonus if they hit a certain figure. However I am aware that people tend to bend the truth.

I hope you don't mind me asking you this its just at the moment I don't feel like I am getting rewarded for the hard work I am putting in and also I have began to sell new products for my company and I haven't got any commision or extra for selling these because in my original targets I was focussing on one product but they have seen how good I am doing and put me onto more now.

Thought it would be best to investigate before diving in and asking for more from them.

Many Thanks! - by mikeuk21
Hi Guys,

Just a question for you all how does your commision/ote scheme work? The reason i am interested in this is because I will be having my 6 month appraisal coming up soon and I think that my commision scheme isn't up to scratch and I want to discuss it with my director. I have to hit quite a hard target before I then get 10% of each sale over that and from what I have heard from a couple of friends in sales they tell me they get a % of every sale and then an even higher bonus if they hit a certain figure. However I am aware that people tend to bend the truth.

I hope you don't mind me asking you this its just at the moment I don't feel like I am getting rewarded for the hard work I am putting in and also I have began to sell new products for my company and I haven't got any commision or extra for selling these because in my original targets I was focussing on one product but they have seen how good I am doing and put me onto more now.

Thought it would be best to investigate before diving in and asking for more from them.

Many Thanks!
Commission/Bonuses

Commission can be structured to be increased with increased sales. 10% to $1,000 15% over is simplest, but 10% to $1000 and 15% over $1500 on ALL OF IT... becomes a bonus of 5% extra on the first $1000 is another way.

There are lots of ways to do this and taking a bonus at the end of the year on total sales over a baseline number can be paid out over the following year as monthly income.. This is how we are doing it with one of our companies we write for.

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
what industry do you work in?

How do you conduct your business? Are you on the road, work SME, in a dealership, door to door or on the phones?

Are you on straight commission, a retainer plus commission or an hourly wage and commission on top?

All industries are very different and if you are going to "ask for more" this is a great start so long as it stays in context (not comparing telemarketing commission to SME for example).

Have you searched for jobs online or in the newspaper and seen what the pay structure they offer? - by MrCharisma
If other salespeople - within the same company - holding the same position - performing at similar levels - have a different pay structure than you... I would be inclined to broach the topic during the review.

If you instead are comparing apples (ie; your company's pay structure for your position) to apples (ie; another company's pay structure for a similar position) I would be inclined to tread lightly. - by ClosedMinded
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.