Home > Personal Selling > I'm Failing Due to Severe Call Reluctance

I'm Failing Due to Severe Call Reluctance

I honestly don't know what to do, I am glowing bright red with call reluctance. I know what I need to do, I convince myself I'll do it, but when I arrive at the industrial park, I can't get out of the car. I rationalize (although not rational) a way to escape the situation.

Two days in a row now I have drove an hour to my location, drove by the businesses I wanted to call on, then turned around and headed back to the office. I'm not new to sales, I've made many cold approaches in the past, but I honestly can't get myself to do it. Before you tell me I'm not motivated or willing to work, I can say it's deeper than that.

I need to get over this or I'll go under, any suggestions? - by SalesWuss
I honestly don't know what to do, I am glowing bright red with call reluctance. I know what I need to do, I convince myself I'll do it, but when I arrive at the industrial park, I can't get out of the car. I rationalize (although not rational) a way to escape the situation.

Two days in a row now I have drove an hour to my location, drove by the businesses I wanted to call on, then turned around and headed back to the office. I'm not new to sales, I've made many cold approaches in the past, but I honestly can't get myself to do it. Before you tell me I'm not motivated or willing to work, I can say it's deeper than that.

I need to get over this or I'll go under, any suggestions?
Yes I have two...

Set yourself up for success here... dress the part... tie or sunday best, whatever you'd wear to be sharp. Get in front of a mirror if you can, is what I'd do, and not leave, eat, or reward yourself in ANY way till you've made 5 calls.

Be honest with your calls. Now ifn it was me... I'd probably even tell em "I drove around for an hour trying to find you" and I finally got the courage to call... ;bg My name is Tom and I work for me and I have something you need/would use/can't live without etc... and I'm calling for a 10 minute appointment now I've screwed up enough courage to call you.... ?

I don't know.... picking up the phone is step one. Dialing the number is step two, asking for the appointment is your commitment objective. Know it, want it, taste it, know that without you his life/livelihood/comfort whatever is going to be vastly underachieved... you've got to be excited and want to really see him so it comes through in your call....

Otherwise... you could just go down to the corner pub and have another brew... :)

Aloha.. :cool: - by rattus58

You wrote, "Before you tell me I'm not motivated or willing to work, I can say it's deeper than that." Tell me more about what you believe is getting in your way. - by ClosedMinded
Do you see yourself failing? When you think about what it is you want to do, do you visualize yourself getting out of your car and walking up to the intended prospects premises? In your minds eye, what happens then? Are you charming? Are you confident? Is there an ugly giant who throws you out or a friendly receptionist trying to do her job?

Dream the outcome you want, over and over. Make it vivid and colorful. Our unconscious minds don't know the difference between vivid imagination and reality.

Create the reality you want twice. First make it perfect in your mind and then act it out in the corporeal world. - by Clive Miller
I think you should get out there and make the calls to overcome your call reluctance.Prehaps your call reluctance could be due to fear of rejection or fear of failure.Imo one of the ways to overcome fear of rejection is by making the calls,the more the better,and getting used to the rejection.Dont take the rejection personally,sometimes easier said than done.

Also focus on your goals,get excited by them,make them real and tangible.Speak positive to yourself,think positive thoughts and picture a positive outcome.

Beleive in yourself and dont allow yourself to feel intimidated by anyone.You can do it.
Positive Regards - by salesdog
You are not the first to experience that and you won't be the last.

There is an awful lot of money to be made in selling. Always has been. But you have to have the ability to get things done.

Setting goals, using positive affirmations, creative visualization, dreaming big, and looking successful are all good things. BUT they don't get things done. They are not what your employer is paying you for. They don't morph into the pay envelope. They are not part of your employment contract. You can't pay your bills with them.

Your job is to make contacts. To call on prospects. To call on ENOUGH prospects to get the results that you need. You are either working hard or hardly working.

Rejection can be unpleasant. So can operating a jack hammer all day to make money to feed your family. Or facing the daily danger of domestic violence situations as a police officer. Or flying an airplane in a snowstorm with 250 passengers aboard.

It's called work for a reason. That's the only way you're going to make any money in sales. - by Gary A Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.