Home > Personal Selling > Need some help

Need some help

I'm having a lot of trouble lately in selling, I'll explain my product and market.

I sell home security door-to-door
The market has been massively saturated as far as I know because everybody has had a door-to-door salesman at their place before.
Lately I haven't been able to sell because people always seem to "know" that they don't need one, what should I do now?

P.S. I learn better when things are told to me step-by-step - by DrPattyCakes
I'm having a lot of trouble lately in selling, I'll explain my product and market.

The market has been massively saturated as far as I know because everybody has had a door-to-door salesman at their place before.
Lately I haven't been able to sell because people always seem to "know" that they don't need one, what should I do now?

P.S. I learn better when things are told to me step-by-step
First explain your product and service as you said you were going to. - by Gary A Boye
My mistake,
We have a newer model alarm system named the Simon XT, compared to conventional alarm systems, this one works more like OnStar, so when the intruder is detected, it will automatically activate a speaker and microphone and the monitoring center will be able to determine what's happening inside the house whether they're home or not, meaning that the police will then go on a HIGH priority call to the location.

The main package includes:
The Keypad, the control panel, 2 door sensors, 1 motion detector, choice of an additional motion detector OR smoke detector and a keychain remote.

this package is worth $39.99 Canadian - by DrPattyCakes
Where you have a lot of competition you really need to identify your KSP’s (Key selling points). Look at what your product can do that your competitors can’t. Perhaps price, functionality, upgradeability…..

Phone up your competitors and request catalogues; I can not underestimate how important product knowledge is.

I have done a bit of door to door sales back in my early days and perseverance combined with belief in your product is more important than anything else.

I personally found that a solution based consultative sale technique worked well for me. - by salesman
First explain your product and service as you said you were going to.
What you need to do is know who your main competitor's in the area that you are selling are. Once you have identified them, get together their strengths and weaknesses. Write them down, step by step. Go through price, functions, etc. Then, do the same for the product that you are selling.

Put something together on your computer or have the company that you work for, provide you with one if they can do that. You will then be able to do a compare and contract with the customers. Of course you want to explain why your product is much better to have then the competition.

I agree with "salesman," about product knowledge. The more of that you have, the easier it will be do make the customer see the difference between your product and the other ones. - by Jumpman

P.S. I learn better when things are told to me step-by-step
I spend a lot of my time training door to door, so hopefully I can help. Firstly I would love to read your pitch or conversation structure.

Until then my advice is this. Be different. Limit your time talking. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Discover why the prospect has yet to take up an offer in the past. Build rapport. - by MrCharisma
Hi Patty -- I'm new here but I wanted to ask:
  • Do you actually walk door-to-door?
  • Do you work by appointment (sometimes, all the time, etc.)
  • Who sets your appointments?
  • How do you start your presentation---one or two lines, please.
  • What 1 thing (if applicable) does your service do better than anyone?
  • As a customer rep, what do you do better than anyone?
I started in in-home selling decades ago (too long ago to really mention), have done other in-home selling such as security systems and have experience in designing effective sales presentation tools to differentiate a service line. I'd like to have a little more information about the specific challenges you are facing. Thanks--Magicman - by magicman
My mistake,
We have a newer model alarm system named the Simon XT, compared to conventional alarm systems, this one works more like OnStar...
So I would ask you to put yourself in the buyer's shoes for a minute. What does this do for them that a traditional system doesn't? Instead of thinking in terms of 'what you sell', think about 'what they buy'. Dig deep.

Once you've done that, you should be able to come up with a compelling value statement you can use in your door-to-door pitch. - by DaveB
It would be helpful to have the information requested above. But I did want to add this thought.

Concentrate on exactly what your customers are buying.

Example: There are hundreds of thousands of 1/4" drills sold each year, yet that is not what the customer is really buying. They are buying 1/4" holes.

Nobody really buys a security system because they just love the features of the alarm panel...or the sexy wireless installation.

When they arm the system, they want security and safety. If a threat occurs, they want somebody to help them. The speaker and microphone is a big deal because a response can be generated even if the homeowner is unconscious or gravely harmed, right?

I'm on the same page as DaveB. Put yourself in the customer's mind. How fast is your monitoring company's response? How dependable is the response? What triggers the microphone on? Will the monitoring company verbally brace the intruder even before the police get there?

This will help your ability to create a desire to buy in the homeowner (rather than a need for you to sell).

Good luck in your efforts. -MM - by magicman
Um, What se said!

Magicman said exactly what I was trying to say, he articulated it better though. - by DaveB
Thanks, Dave, for the kind comment. I've certainly had my own share of "need to sell" days. Best -- Magicman - by magicman
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.