Home > Personal Selling > Agents of Change

Agents of Change

Do you believe salespeople are agents of change? If so, why do you believe this? - by Gary A Boye
Do you believe salespeople are agents of change? If so, why do you believe this?
I believe salespeople should be agents of change.

Why?

* Products change
* Pricing changes
* Each prospects is unique
* Prospects become more educated

If you can change, you will effectively influence more prospects and will adapt to change. Otherwise you'll spend your life selling one product in one industry.

The only thing consistent in life is change... - by MrCharisma
Perhaps I should have said provider of change or facilitator of change. I was referring to salespeople effecting change externally, i.e. in the lives or businesses of their clients. - by Gary A Boye
Why make a change is one of the core questions that a sales person must answer, because until the prospect agrees that a change is needed, he or she will not make a buying decision. In short, if a sales person is not an agent of change then he or she will not be a professional sales person for long... - by Harold
Why make a change is one of the core questions that a sales person must answer, because until the prospect agrees that a change is needed, he or she will not make a buying decision. In short, if a sales person is not an agent of change then he or she will not be a professional sales person for long...
That's more in line with what I am referring to.

Harold, I'm always impressed with your insight, so I'll cut to the quick and ask you to ponder another step I wanted to take in this discussion.

Agent of change--OK--you agree with that defined role. My question is this. Is there a next level, more advanced, that takes us into the realm of change management in sales.

Example: Think about wholesale reps who might be successful placing products with retailers. But placing products doesn't necessarily DRIVE sales. Where would change management come into play?

Anybody? - by Gary A Boye
I am really enjoying this thread.

In the example you have given, would change management be a case of management working with the reps to change their mindset from placing products (order taking ? ) to innovative selling.
Could it also prehaps be changing the mindset of the retailers to doing things differently,looking at new and creative ways to sell the products ?

Positive Regards - by salesdog
I would agree that, in the example you submitted, change does not occur by merely placing a product. I would content that change happens by focusing on the prospect, through having a prospect centric selling process. Now, many sales trainers say things like that, but then they revert right back to the same old seller centeric model. I am not talking about a semantic reconstruction, but rather a shift in the very core philosophy of selling.

What this looks like in practice is the following: True change comes when you as a sales person thoroughly understand the prospect to such an extent that you know why they should and need to make a change and you also understand their internal decision making process. By internal decision making process, I mean both the psychology of the decision (how it gets made in the prospect's head) and the process that they must go through within their organization with obtaining buy-in from other decision makers and influencers. Then you sell to that.

When you sell in this manner you will not only be seen as relevant by the prospect, but you will guide the prospect into bringing about true change because in essence you will be speaking the prospect's "language." - by Harold
I am really enjoying this thread.

In the example you have given, would change management be a case of management working with the reps to change their mindset from placing products (order taking ? ) to innovative selling.
Could it also prehaps be changing the mindset of the retailers to doing things differently,looking at new and creative ways to sell the products ?

Positive Regards
I think it is a worthwhile thread.

Yes to all your questions. Those would indeed be some examples. - by Gary A Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.