Home > Personal Selling > If you could lie about your product

If you could lie about your product

I'm doing this for the sake of understanding sales.

If you could lie about anything about your product, any amount of thing about your product, what would you lie about to have people buy from you at a 90% rate.

This can include price, features, your identity etc...

(P.S. I don't lie when I sell and don't plan to, also I don't endorse it one bit, actually I frown upon it and I think liars is why this industry isnt "newbie-friendly") - by DrPattyCakes
I have lied to win work!! Well… not really lied, but perhaps ‘misguided’ a prospect with regards to their competition.

The was a few times when I was working in ‘cut throat’ advertising and had a couple of neighbouring and competing companies on the fence and undecided if they will buy from me.. So I may have suggested that perhaps their competition is going to invest in me (before I’ve had any form of commitment) and that they will be missing out on the opportunity that I am presenting… I was playing one against the other and more often than not I would closing both sales.

You may call it a lie, but would prefer to call it ‘a strategic deviated truth’ lol - by salesman
Several years ago I was approached by a woman who today is a well known and sought after sales authority, author, and platform speaker. My company was, I believe, one of the first companies to enlist her training. I recall that when she was engaging me with the idea of my hiring her for the training, she used the exact same maneuver you have just described.

Two things I want to say about that. First, I was savvy enough to suspect that she was not being perfectly honest about that. I hired her anyway.

Second, I came to find out that my suspicions were correct. As a result, although I have always wished her well, the woman's character will ALWAYS be tainted in my mind.

We cannot value TRUST in selling, and be willing to compromise that value.

This is not, as another member attempted to insert, a moral high ground. Most of us here are smart enough to know the folly of having other people's views of morality thrust upon us. They act as chains. Integrity, Right Thinking,--those are to be valued in our journey. - by Gary A Boye
I do not endorse lying to a client or prospect, but I think that in context as I described above is not that big of a deal.. I (As every salesman should) had total belief in my product and morally to suggest to a client that a competitor may be coming on board when actually they are on the fence is somewhat of a semantic argument.

Although the clients may have been swayed because of the local competition, in actuality both clients bought into the product and expected to see a tangible return on their investment.

Please also note, although I am no longer employed in advertising sales I am still very good friends with many of my previous clients and as I was working for such a niche publication, many of us drank and socialized together regularly with no animosity.

I do not see this as a smear on my character or my integrity, further, if we look at any aspect of the sales cycle it could be viewed as a form of manipulation. It is for this reason integrity is paramount in the sales arena.
- by salesman
A fundamental principle of selling is that we buy from those whom we trust. Being dishonest, even stretching the truth a little, will erode any trust. If you lie, it may serve you in the short term, but it will destroy any chance of long term success.

In today's business environment, being honest is not merely an option, it is a necessity. - by Harold
Well these are edgy topics and truly the original post was in an entirely hypothetical context--I believe to prioritize the important things we want to get across, merely using fibbing as a filter and not as a recommendation.

Those of us who say we would not lie would be compromising ourselves if we condoned it. However we have no real vested interest in other forum members' personal standards. We all post our beliefs and opinions. - by Gary A Boye
Very true, I do not and would not advise that anyone involved in sales within any capacity to lie or 'misguide' a prospect or client. - by salesman
When sales people distort the truth, it affects us all. It causes prospects to develop an even deeper distrust for sales people than they already do. Also, these abused clients tell others and that fuels there distrust for sales people. So this idea that we can overlook dishonesty because outside of the initial situation there are no repercussions is not only naive, but foolish. When one sales person lies it hurts all of us.

Character is not something to run from. Top sales people are honest because not only does it help foster long term relationships, but more importantly, it is the right thing to do. - I know that this was not the intent of the original question. However, I felt it needed to be said. - by Harold
I continue to revisit some of these old threads because of a writing project I'm working on.

A small number of members here actually addressed the question. All implied that they would not lie. I realize that the small number of responses is not enough sampling to validate a survey. However, those members are unanimous. 100 percent of responders "take the high moral ground", as one participant described it.

So--here's a follow up question. Are those members, and the resultant unanimity, aligned with the overall beliefs and attitudes of salespeople in general. In other words, what if we surveyed ten thousand salespeople; how different would that percentage be?

Of course we don't know--but how about some opinions.

One last thing. I'm cognizant that there could be a catch-22. If a respondent in such a survey was in the habit of lying, he/she might give a lie as an answer to the survey.

If I hadn't said "one last thing", I'd have another question. This is the question I would have asked:

What would you suppose is the probability of success in sales for a person that incorporates lying into his/her practice? - by Gary A Boye
I imagine the probability of success would be low and not because the prospects wouldn't believe the salesperson. - by Jeff Blackwell
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.