Home > Personal Selling > Are All Sales Folks Created Equal?

Are All Sales Folks Created Equal?

After your Sales People have sat through your training day in and day out and week after week you have imparted all your wonderful SALES and product KNOWLEDGE upon your hand picked sales staff. Do you believe then, your sales team should all go forth and sale! Of course they should and they will but are you giving them what they need to reach their FULL potential? Are you giving them what it takes to become Sales SuperStars!

I have been on both side of the sales desk either in management or in sales. I have worked in a happy sales staff and an unhappy one. Stop for just a moment to consider what a happy Sales Staff means to you? A happy staff means lots of Happy SALES! Remember, sales is an attitude driven profession. If your attitude stinks so goes your sales!

More often than not a sales manager will lack the “self confidence” it takes to allow their team the individuality to grow according to each sales person’s talents and abilities. Please understand what I just said! To be a good Sales Manager you cannot be a Cookie Cutter manager. “Get to know your staff”. Spend time with each one of them. Ask questions and listen. You must learn what it takes to motivate “each” one and, once you learn just what it takes to motivate each one, use that knowledge FREELY. One sales person may be motivated by money, the other by praise, the other by recognition or a pat on the back. As for myself, I am motivated by accomplishment. Being number one! Being the best! Doing something no one else has done or can do or, selling more than anyone else. I need to set sales records! I cannot bear to be number two! In my eyes being number two makes me the number one loser! I have yet to work for a manager who has asked what motivates me, yet the more I am motivated the more I sale! It is good that I am self motivated but many others are not! They need that motivational shot in the arm from their leader! - by MPrince
Was this topic meant for discussion or was it your own statement?

Are all sales 'folk' created equally?

No

It comes down to three factors: Attitude, Skills and Knowledge.

Not all people are created equally, not all people are given equal opportunities, not all people have the same level of education and not all people have the same motivation and drive.

To get the most out of your staff, yes.. you do need to understand what drives them. Any good manager should know this, otherwise they are not a strong manager and probably managing based off fear or another weak tool.

I'm saddened to hear no manager has ever asked you what motivate you but I can assure you that's one of the first things I learnt as a manager, to understand what is important to my staff. - by MrCharisma
Outstanding post, Martha. Easy to see you have "worked both sides of the desk" and have that rare ability to do both exceptionally well.

I believe "Are All Sales Folks Created Equal?" was merely a rhetorical question chosen by you as a title for a wonderful topic. The answer is obvious, so I won't answer it. - by Gary A Boye
Outstanding post, Martha. Easy to see you have "worked both sides of the desk" and have that rare ability to do both exceptionally well.

I believe "Are All Sales Folks Created Equal?" was merely a rhetorical question chosen by you as a title for a wonderful topic. The answer is obvious, so I won't answer it.
You are right on Gary! Often the answer is too obvious for others to see and often I write to see the answer myself! - by MPrince
Not all sales people are created equal. As you say very well, you have to allow sales people to be themselves. Sometimes the best performers aren't the ones that outsiders would consider to be typical sales people.
However for the very top performers it's a case of nature and nurture. If you have the innate talent, the right mindset and the training... that's a winning formula.
--
All the best
Mark
RealLifeSelling - by markg
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.