Home > Direct Marketing > Telemarketing Questions

Telemarketing Questions

Hope I put this in the correct part of this forum.

I went through the thread and could not find the answers to some of my questions. This forum got me started doing door-to-door canvassing, last year, and our sales increased by a good 25%. Thank you to every person who contributes to the great knowledge in this forum.

A few months ago, I decided to implement telemarketing. So far it has been a disaster and I went through a few telemarketers I hired from Craigslist. These are the problems I am having.

1) I could use your expertise with creating a simple script. I don't know what to tell the customer because we do so many different things. My company does repair plumbing. We clean drains, clean sewers, replace drains and sewers, repair and install furnaces, toilets, copper water piping, toilets, water heaters, and we are licensed for plumbing, heating, roofing, electrical, general contracting, water damage repair, mold restoration, rain water drainage, and a lot more.

Our simplest and most profitable sales come from cleaning drains and sewers and selling new drain and sewer systems, from repairing furnaces and selling new furnaces, and from advertising to diagnose mold and odor problems and selling services to repair the causes of mold and odor problems. We really don't care to sell roofs, electrical, or other services, but these services creates a customer base and are often great for opening doors leading to other services.

2) I hired some really scary employees and have been very lucky some did not steal checks and equipment from my office. Where is the best place to look for telemarketers and how do you interview them. I have a bad habit of hiring employees on their first interview and I can't seem to overcome this. I don't have an employee I can rely on for doing interviews.

3) Do you know where I can get an inexpensive predictive dialer that can be installed on my computer rather than web-based. Or, can you recommend a good system for dialing and tracking.

A few weeks ago, I paid $2800 for a telemarketing system that came with an entire computer loaded with Windows 98. I tried the computer and software for 1 day and did not have what I was looking for. So, I started developing my own telemarketing software that you can download for free by clicking on the link below. This is a very basic program you can put a mailing list into, but it works great, in many ways. I also put a telemarketing application in my Customer List Program. Today, I finally found a programmer who (I think) will develop the program I am looking for. Meanwhile if you know of a good program, please let me know. If not, you can download my Customer List (management) application and the telemarketing application. As I develop them I will post the upgrades.

Thank you for your help.

This is truly a great forum. - by pcplumber
I think your mistake is that you are trying to do this al yourself. Find a telemarketing firm that does this. They'l be able to guide you as to the right products/services to offer, help you develop the script, etc. They'll use their own people and execute your campaign at their own facility. - by DaveB
I think your mistake is that you are trying to do this al yourself. Find a telemarketing firm that does this. They'l be able to guide you as to the right products/services to offer, help you develop the script, etc. They'll use their own people and execute your campaign at their own facility.
Hiring a service is something I have been considering. I see advantages and disadvantages. I like to have the ability to make changes on-the-fly and these changes may include daily changes to the scripts, making changes to increase and decrease the number of leads, and many other control issues.

I will give hiring a firm more consideration.

Thank you very much.
Leonard - by pcplumber
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.