Home > Social Influence > Conditions of Mutual Trust and Respect

Conditions of Mutual Trust and Respect

Do you believe in the value of conditions of mutual trust and respect between salesperson and prospective buyer? - by Gary A Boye
Do you believe in the value of conditions of mutual trust and respect between salesperson and prospective buyer?
When you say "the value of conditions", how do you mean exactly? - by MrCharisma
When you say "the value of conditions", how do you mean exactly?
"Conditions of mutual trust and respect" refers to level of trust and respect a prospect has towards the salesperson and the level of trust and respect the salesperson has towards the prospect.

Value in this refers to the importance or impact of those conditions in a selling situation. - by Gary A Boye
Short Answer: Yes

Long Answer: When you say "salesman" to most people they immediately think "use car salesman", closely followed by "untrustworthy" and "lack of integrity".

None of us wants to be thought of that way. One of the *values* of acting with trust and integrity is that it helps chip away at the public's negative stereotype of our profession. - by DaveB
Short Answer: Yes

Long Answer: When you say "salesman" to most people they immediately think "use car salesman", closely followed by "untrustworthy" and "lack of integrity".

None of us wants to be thought of that way. One of the *values* of acting with trust and integrity is that it helps chip away at the public's negative stereotype of our profession.
I live in an area among many professionals who sell for a living. I belong to organizations whose membership includes many who sell. A significant portion of our population sells. I do NOT immediately think "use (sic) car salesman" about any of them, except for a good friend who happens to sell used cars. - by Gary A Boye
I do NOT immediately think "used car salesman" about any of them, except for a good friend who happens to sell used cars.
Gary, I realize that because of the company we ourselves keep - we don't think of the stereotypical 'used car salesman' whenever 'salesman' is mentioned.

There is a huge segment of the general population however that sees Danny Devito's character in Tin Men as the stereotypical salesman. My point was that each time we treat our prospects with dignity and integrity he help break down that stereotype a bit. And that has tremendous value to our profession. - by DaveB
Value is a perception.

I believe without trust, respect, like, belief or care... you rely solely on your product and/or offer. If you fail in one of those five things, deals can still be made, they it is just harder.

There is a level trust a salesperson must put into his prospect with the information that the prospect provides as well as respect that the prospect is still a human being and just a number. - by MrCharisma
Value is a perception.
It is that indeed. In the context of our mutual trust and respect discussion, one would hope the evaluation is derived from a measurement of results from real life experience where those conditions are present as compared to when they are not. But first salespeople need to be able to identify those conditions. To paraphrase Ayn Rand, comparison is the key to understanding a concept. - by Gary A Boye
Do you believe in the value of conditions of mutual trust and respect between salesperson and prospective buyer?
I place high importance on these conditions (mutual trust and respect) because of their impact in a selling siutation.

IMO, not enough emphasis is placed on the salesperson's side of the table meaning does he/she trust and respect the prospect. ;) - by Jeff Blackwell
I place high importance on these conditions (mutual trust and respect) because of their impact in a selling siutation.

IMO, not enough emphasis is placed on the salesperson's side of the table meaning does he/she trust and respect the prospect. ;)
We often trust those who trust us. And we are often trusted by those we trust.

That is a start. - by Gary A Boye
We often trust those who trust us. And we are often trusted by those we trust.
Yes... and vice versa. - by Jeff Blackwell
One of the members here offered an opinion that "value is a perception."

For the sake of exploring this thread more deeply, I want to point out that I used the word "value" as a noun in starting this topic. "Value", the noun, is certainly influenced by perceptions--if is not a perception itself. Scarcity would be such a perception. Another member offered an opinion with his Danny Devito/Tin Man example that inferred that trust and respect for salespeople was scarce. If that's true, doesn't that have a very positive effect on value? That's a rhetorical question--which means I believe it does. - by Gary A Boye
Hi Gary. Are you asking if we believe trust and respect have an effect on value? - by Jeff Blackwell
Hi Gary. Are you asking if we believe trust and respect have an effect on value?
No, I am not. I was pointing out that scarcity effects value and that the value of conditions of mutual trust and respect are influenced by the depth of the mutual trust and repect. - by Gary A Boye
No, I am not. I was pointing out that scarcity effects value and that the value of conditions of mutual trust and respect are influenced by the depth of the mutual trust and respect.
I agree that scarcity (perceived) effects value (perceived). Would you please elaborate on "the value of conditions of mutual trust and respect are influenced by the depth of the mutual trust and respect." Thanks! :) - by Jeff Blackwell
I agree that scarcity (perceived) effects value (perceived). Would you please elaborate on "the value of conditions of mutual trust and respect are influenced by the depth of the mutual trust and respect." Thanks! :)
In simple terms, if conditions of mutual trust and respect exist, it's easier to make a sale--all other things being equal. If conditions of mutual trust and respect are at an even higher level, it becomes easier still. Conditions that influence making a sale easier are conditions I consider valuable.

I am not sure that your second ("perceived") above is correct. - by Gary A Boye
In simple terms, if conditions of mutual trust and respect exist, it's easier to make a sale--all other things being equal. If conditions of mutual trust and respect are at an even higher level, it becomes easier still. Conditions that influence making a sale easier are conditions I consider valuable.
I agree.

I am not sure that your second ("perceived") above is correct.
The way I see it "value" is in the eye of the beholder. - by Jeff Blackwell

The way I see it "value" is in the eye of the beholder.
Maybe we are getting distracted by the use of the word "value" at the expense of forwarding the notion that conditions of mutual trust and respect and the awareness, understanding, and embracing of those conditions would be rewarding to people who sell for a living.

A lot of times when a familiar word is used in discussions, it triggers a familiar meme. In this case it prompted one member to say that value is a perception, perhaps because "perceived value" is a term that is often used when describing the perceptions on the buyer side of the fence.

That said, I'll mention that values can be imposed--and often are. For instance, someone working in a sales organization run by me would have my value of conditions of mutual trust and respect between him/herself and a prospect embraced and adhered to. If they didn't "perceive" it at first, we would work on getting them to the point of perceiving it.

John Voris has cited Occam's Razor. So we'll utilize that to say it clearly: Conditions of Mutual Trust and Respect between buyer and seller is a good thing. - by Gary A Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.