Home > Technology > Why No Business Should Be Involved In Online Social Networking

Why No Business Should Be Involved In Online Social Networking

This might not be something business people want to wait around and discover on their own:
http://marcgordon.ca/articles/soc_networking.html

After reading the article what is your take on the topic? - by Community Mailbox
This might not be something business people want to wait around and discover on their own:
Why No Business Should Be Involved In Online Social Networking

After reading the article what is your take on the topic?
The topic is interesting in spite of the article which appears to be a potpourri of generalizations and references to the obvious. the author wants business people to say "social marketing" rather than "social networking."

My take is that social networking is in the early stages and it will evolve and accelerate to effect our lives in ways that not even our current imaginations can uncover. I believe that it will emerge in different forms and that many businesses will catapult to success because of forms that have yet to be created, or are currently in the creation process.

Technology and distribution are two separate but connected subjects. We can reject technology much more easily than to reject changes in distribution. Social networking is personalized distribution--specifically in the area of information. - by Gary A Boye
I think it's an awesome and cheap way to get in front of people you wouldn't normally see. Facebook lets you target specific people/job titles to put ads in front of.

If you are looking to increase your profile, there is no better way. - by Thufir
Argh. Articles like this make me grind my teeth.

Here is the fundamental essence of social media: It's about real people, real relationships, and real conversations. That's it.

It's not an advertising medium. Put away the notion of blasting your marketing messages.

Smart people who network discovered this long ago. Meet people who are strategic to your business. Develop real personal relationships with them. Become mutually supportive in those relationships. Business will naturally follow. Social Media is no different.

Or let me put it this way: Generation Y'ers now outnumber us Baby Boomers, and 96% use social media. 78% trust peer recommendations but only 14% trust advertising. Year after year, Edelman's Trust Barometer shows that people consider “a person like me” to be a more credible source of information about a company than its own CEO.

When someone in Generation Y needs something, they look to their network for advice and recommendations. When a young woman is told by her physician to get a mammogram, she takes the list of providers given to her by her doctor and looks them up on yelp and makes her decision based upon what she finds there.

The key is to become part of her trusted network. Once she trusts you, then you become her trusted expert. - by DaveB
All of that makes very good sense and I think it applies to offline networking also. "Elevator talks" turn my stomach. - by Gary A Boye
All of that makes very good sense and I think it applies to offline networking also. "Elevator talks" turn my stomach.
You are absolutely right, Gary. In fact I tell people that if they 'get' face-to-face networking then social media is doing exactly the same thing, just with different tools. - by DaveB
Hi Dave

I agree with your comments. Social networks have many advantages. As sales and business people . The powr of interlinking and building relationships is actually huge. This year alone linkedin has helped us secure more than a dozen new clients and contacts as well as an extra 1000 visitors to our site.

Best Wishes

Denise;sm - by SalesManagersCoach
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.