Home > Education > What Do You Think About This Remark?

What Do You Think About This Remark?

Over coffee last week, a friend remarked that he believed that in order to learn success in selling, it is a great help to study failure and the often hidden reasons behind it.

Thoughts? - by Gary A Boye
I agree to a point. It's important to learn where we went wrong, but success is based more on confidence, and over-analyzing our mistakes often has the opposite effect. - by Phateless
Analyzing mistakes and failure syndromes to uncover underlying negative and self defeating conditions is one of the most confidence producing things you can do.

The question "What's missing?" doesn't begin with "What's there?" for a good reason: what's missing is the cause of failure.

Then comes, "Also, what do I believe I am doing well?" is important.

The best of 2010 to you.

MitchM - by MitchM
I agree to a point. It's important to learn where we went wrong, but success is based more on confidence, and over-analyzing our mistakes often has the opposite effect.
I did not say our own failures--I said failure. - by Gary A Boye
Analyzing mistakes and failure syndromes to uncover underlying negative and self defeating conditions is one of the most confidence producing things you can do.

The question "What's missing?" doesn't begin with "What's there?" for a good reason: what's missing is the cause of failure.

Then comes, "Also, what do I believe I am doing well?" is important.

The best of 2010 to you.

MitchM
Mitch, "success" is often spoken about as a commodity. Why can't we address failure that way? As I said to the other member, I'm referring to failure as such--not specifically our own.

Do you agree with the remarks that my friend made while we were having coffee? Does it help greatly to study the causes for failure in selling as a tool for determining the reasons for success?

Certainly you have seen others fail in your trade. - by Gary A Boye
Thanks, Gary - you always help me focus - I personified "failure" to me, myself and I.
---------------------
Mitch, "success" is often spoken about as a commodity. Why can't we address failure that way? As I said to the other member, I'm referring to failure as such--not specifically our own.

Do you agree with the remarks that my friend made while we were having coffee? Does it help greatly to study the causes for failure in selling as a tool for determining the reasons for success?

Certainly you have seen others fail in your trade.
------------------
Yes it does help greatly to study the causes of failure in selling as a tood for determining the reasons for success, Gary, unless my immediate reply is missing something subtle yet to be uncovered.

For example, if one of the causes of failure is not talking with enough people with precision and clarity, then to personify that to myself I ask: Am I communicating with enough people with precision and clarity?

What say you, Gary?

MitchM - by MitchM
Thanks, Gary - you always help me focus - I personified "failure" to me, myself and I.
---------------------

Certainly you have seen others fail in your trade.
------------------
Yes it does help greatly to study the causes of failure in selling as a tood for determining the reasons for success, Gary, unless my immediate reply is missing something subtle yet to be uncovered.

For example, if one of the causes of failure is not talking with enough people with precision and clarity, then to personify that to myself I ask: Am I communicating with enough people with precision and clarity?

What say you, Gary?

MitchM
Mike, Stephen Covey's words, "Seek first to understand, then to be understood." have been profoundly valuable to me. I believe it applies to when we talk to ourselves and address our own needs, too. Think of my coffee klatcher's remarks in that vain. In other words, when we understand root causes of failure, we can much better avoid them in our own lives. - by Gary A Boye
Gary
I learn more from studying my failure. I am not sure what hidden reasons are. Most of the time when I do fail it is obvious why I failed. Once I take the time to discover why, I then can name quite a few points that I missed during my process that helped me to fail.

When I have trained others or have had ride along with others they seem to have difficulty understanding or discovering where I have failed. As an example I visited with an older client who lived two condo units down from the unit where the work was needed. The client arrived on a scooter and I asked him to come in with me. I went to the problem area and noticed him walking with a heavy limp. While in the home I explained how I do an inspection of the home and asked him to follow me around the unit.
I priced up the solution and asked this client to come in the home and sit at the table where we would be comfortable. My solution covered all the details the basic repair, complete rebuild and a replacement. The client said this is too high and I asked how much too much. He said he was willing to pay a couple hundred dollars. My basic repair was 325. The complete rebuild was closer to 500 and a replacement was 900.

I did my rapport building, relationship building and giving value prior to the price and solution presentation. The client would not budge. When we left I ask the person who did the ride along what I did wrong. He said nothing the old guy was a cheap *******. This made me laugh and it had nothing to do with the client being cheap.

Here is what I did wrong and where I could have been better.
I was later than our agreed time and he did not receive a phone call that explained I would be running late. His time was not valued by our company and me.

He rode the scooter due to not walking well and I forced him out of his comfort zone and into this condo unit that was not conducive to him and his scooter. I then made him walk around the unit with me. He did not matter to me in his mind. I then made the same mistake once again by forcing him to come back into the unit to discuss the solution. I should have left him sit in the scooter outside the unit and did the presentation outside with him.

Now to price the client stated a couple hundred dollars and in my mind a couple hundred dollars means up to 299. My basic price was 325 only 26 bucks more than he thought he should pay. He was not cheap I did not do my job. I never did a show and tell with the complete rebuild or show and tell with the replacement allowing the client to see, touch, and feel and understand exactly what he was getting in return for my service and products. My perceived value was nil due to me not following my guidelines. I allowed price to be an issue because I did not follow my process.

I did not put my client’s emotional and physical needs ahead of me, my company and the job. I now had to add more value than normal if I was to get the job due to me not following my guidelines with my process and taking the shortcuts instead.

I was too anxious to get to my next more profitable call to bring in more money for the company.

I learned never to take short cuts with my process due to not giving the client everything I have for him or her. I learned I must follow a process no matter what I may think is in it for the company and me. It should always be for the client. I learned to stop putting my wants ahead of the client in all cases. These things I knew before I went to this job but I ignored these things.
I can read and learn from others mistakes however not all people can learn by reading only, they may need the experience to learn from and grow.

A long story short I agree with the statement with the exception of hidden reasons due to my thinking they really are not hidden just forgotten.
- by rich34232
The idea of the thread, Rich was to discuss reasons for failure in selling, and if examination of those reasons were steps to make us more successful. What you are doing here is examining your own mistakes--an admirable trait of course.

BUT--the most significant thing I find in your post is the fact that the person who rode with you was unable to isolate your mistakes. If he can't isolate yours, he doesn't benefit. Experienced people can immediately see the mistakes made in your story--even before you summarized them. I'll add that they fit a pattern that I'm sure you recognize. - by Gary A Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.