Home > Education > The Science and Practice of Personal Selling

The Science and Practice of Personal Selling

Out of curiosity, which topics would you expect to find in a book titled, "The Science and Practice of Personal Selling"? - by Community Mailbox
Out of curiosity, which topics would you expect to find in a book titled, "The Science and Practice of Personal Selling"?
My expectations would be low based on what I see as so many poor attempts by countless authors to convey what it takes to succeed at selling.

However, my expectations would be extremely exceeded if the book contained two things. One would be a strong and proven philosophy of selling on which the book is based. The other would be the primary selling skill on which all other selling skills are dependent upon. There is no doubt in my mind that the most important skill in selling is Preparation. - by Gary A Boye
My expectations would be low based on what I see as so many poor attempts by countless authors to convey what it takes to succeed at selling.

However, my expectations would be extremely exceeded if the book contained two things. One would be a strong and proven philosophy of selling on which the book is based. The other would be the primary selling skill on which all other selling skills are dependent upon. There is no doubt in my mind that the most important skill in selling is Preparation.
My firm researches human motivation. That is not the Tony Robbins style but rather the Mother Teresa style that we all posses. Tony Robbins conducts Enthusiasm Seminars and certainly not Motivation Seminars. This is why the impact is so temporary. Long-term motivation comes from deep belief systems and not in-the-moment emotional reactions.

For a conclusion to be qualified as being scientific it must be at least physically: observable, measurable and repeatable. I also include falsifiable.

To date, all "science" of behavior is based on inductive logic whereby statistics are drawn to form a universal observation. That is as far as it can go (observation) because what motivates behavior is beyond empirical methodology and therefore cannot become a scientific fact.

(What instrument can make the abstract concept of desire tangible for scientific study? There are brain scans but they only reveal the effect of emotion and not the cause.)

So, there can never be a book legitimately called "The Science and Practice of Personal Selling" unless the definition of what is science changes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

However, Lucretius an Epicurean Poet, who was born approximately 100 years before the birth of Christ, wrote extensively about the existence and characteristics of atoms. We know how long it would be until science proved their existence.

Philosophy has always been light-years ahead of science because of the qualification of having to generate physical results.

In other words, you and others (like Lucretius) here have been revealing selling revelations that are the closest to a scientific treatment of the subject as possible. It does so because there are common threads within common threads that resonate a single universal philosophy. While these threads cannot be measured and are certainly not physical, they are repeatable.

I agree that the most important skill may be preparation as a way of "doing" but what precedes this skill? It is a way of "being" that also has been touched on in this venue including yourself.

(Sorry that my analysis is so dry and lacks dramatic flare but you have brought up a topic that runs to the core of my business.) - by John Voris
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.