Home > Education > Selling from the Heart

Selling from the Heart

Do you think it is necessary to believe in your product to sell effectively?

Why do you think so? - by Clive Miller
Do you think it is necessary to believe in your product to sell effectively?

Why do you think so?
Necessary? My answer would be no. There are some fields that would be exceptions certainly but those fields would be populated more by professionals who sell rather than "sales professionals."

I won't answer the second question because it is more appropriate for someone who answers yes.

But I'll say this. The whys and wherefores of believing in your product come under career decisions. In my view, a much more vital career question is: Am I the right person selling the right product for the right reasons? - by Gary A Boye
Thanks Gary, I should have worded the second question better. I am interested in people’s reasons either way. - by Clive Miller
I believe you should believe in your product. It will help you stay motivated and inpired. But it is definitealy not something you need to sell.
Most salesmen have products they don't believe in. What is important is to make others think you believe in it. What you really think usually doesn't matter. - by LookingDaniel
Hello Clive. What does "believe in your product" mean to you? - by Jeff Blackwell
I can't speak for anyone else but myself on this one. I learned many years ago through self-discovery that I can effectively sell a product or service only if I truly and deeply believe in it. The result is that it is more like evangelism than selling.

I ask myself, "Do I believe in this product enough that I could promote and sell it even if I were making nothing from the sale?" If the answer is 'no' then I need to move on. - by DaveB
Responding to Jeff's question, what does 'believe in the product' mean to me:

Good question Jeff. I suspect everyone who comments has their own answer. For me I would say I believe in a product if I would I recommend it to a close friend with an appropriate need.

What is your interpretation? - by Clive Miller
We need to define the level of belief. Do I have to believe that it is the absolute best product on the market or a belief in the product to take care of the client’s issues? I am a firm believer in giving options to a client a good, better, best philosophy.

With b2c three options given to a client two things happen in my mind. The first is there is no option for a no. Does this mean the client cannot say no? Absolutely not the client can still refuse however the percentage of receiving a no is very low. It is not offered as an option.

The second thing clients normally choose the middle option that is better product and will handle their issues for a very very long time. My good product is not the best product on the market yet I still must believe it can serve the client well and take care of their immediate issue.

My core belief must be in me and that my products, service, and service after the sale is the best solution for my client. I must believe in my company and serve in an ethical manner with integrity.
- by rich34232
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.