Home > Personal Selling > Want or Do?

Want or Do?

In your opinion, is the role of a saleperson centered on influencing a prospect to WANT or to DO? - by Gary A Boye
Imo the role of the salesperson should be centered on influencing the prospect to DO.
Wanting without taking action is of no benefit to either the prospect or the salesperson.

Positive Regards - by salesdog
To do! A few questions and conversation usually reveals if the person want's to do. Also, it depends on how you use the word "influence." I'd say I don't influence either - I mostly find out if the person wants to do.

BUT a good inquiry and conversation can influence.

The best to you in 2010.

Mike - by MitchM
Our role is to motivate the prospect to DO. In order to accomplish that, it is often necessary to nurture the Want. - by DaveB
Our role is to motivate the prospect to DO. In order to accomplish that, it is often necessary to nurture the Want.
Can you give an example of nurturing a want? - by Gary A Boye
I find this a difficult question to answer. What exactly is a want? Does the want fulfill a need or is it primarily a want?

I always want action and want alone has never produced the results I want or need. Wanting is never enough. Now I must drive the want in the client in order to receive the do action. I must drive the want to do business with me and then drive the want to purchase the service or product from me. I cannot have one without the other.

I am in plumbing and the easiest way for me to describe is using plumbing analogies. My client may need a faucet. They may need a plain Jane faucet however they may want a fancier product that has more functions. Another client may need that same fancy faucet and want a higher grade of faucet. It is up to me to discover the clients want or need and influence the outcome. My client may want to keep up with the Jonesís and the product or service does not matter much as long as it is equal or above the Jonesís.

My goal is to have the client have the action of following through and purchasing my product and service from me driving the want and do. - by rich34232
Can you give an example of nurturing a want?
Sure. I want a new car. I visit the dealership. The salesman nurtures my want (sometimes over a period of months) and helps it grow until it is strong enough. Then he motivates me to DO by helping me figure out how to afford/justify it. - by DaveB
The salesman nurtures my want (sometimes over a period of months) and helps it grow until it is strong enough.
Yes...but where's the example? Using the word "nurture" again is not an example of nurturing. Better yet, forget the car salesman. What do YOU do when you "nurture" a want? - by Gary A Boye

I find this a difficult question to answer. What exactly is a want? Does the want fulfill a need or is it primarily a want?

I always want action and want alone has never produced the results I want or need. Wanting is never enough. Now I must drive the want in the client in order to receive the do action. I must drive the want to do business with me and then drive the want to purchase the service or product from me. I cannot have one without the other.

I am in plumbing and the easiest way for me to describe is using plumbing analogies. My client may need a faucet. They may need a plain Jane faucet however they may want a fancier product that has more functions. Another client may need that same fancy faucet and want a higher grade of faucet. It is up to me to discover the clients want or need and influence the outcome. My client may want to keep up with the Jones’s and the product or service does not matter much as long as it is equal or above the Jones’s.

My goal is to have the client have the action of following through and purchasing my product and service from me driving the want and do.
Rich, the prospect is probably able to satisfy her need to keep up with the Jones long before she ever meets you. I don't know what you mean by "driving the want." If you can influence her to act on her want, THAT is influencing her to DO.

As a person who voted DO in this poll, I believe that the role of the salesperson is centered on on influencing a prospect to DO over influencing a prospect to WANT. - by Gary A Boye
Gary you have not said anything that I do not disagree with and will state that is true with any selling situation. I still stand by my statement I need to do both drive the want and do which is the action. I can influence her to go beyond the want to meet the Jones's purchase. By the way any sales person can do that and that is why I must drive her want to do business with me.You use the term influence I use the term want and I think we are meaning the same thing. - by rich34232
Gary you have not said anything that I do not disagree with and will state that is true with any selling situation. I still stand by my statement I need to do both drive the want and do which is the action. I can influence her to go beyond the want to meet the Jones's purchase. By the way any sales person can do that and that is why I must drive her want to do business with me.You use the term influence I use the term want and I think we are meaning the same thing.
Rich, if a person wants something, he/she wants something. That doesn't mean they act to get it--even if it is a huge want. The person gets it when they act--in other words, in the context of this topic, DO.

It is true that we can influence the want--effect it forward or backward. But our real role in influencing is in getting it DONE. - by Gary A Boye
Absolutely I agree with the final action of do.I do want them to have that action with me and not another sales pro.

I say this for one reason I have had clients who have done what I have expressed to him or her however they could not really afford me and this meant that the client received the do with another company that was cheaper. A person on a fixed income or out of work and receiving unemployment may not afford me or my terms. This is a condition that does not allow them to use me. - by rich34232
The role of a sales person is to help people and organisations do what they want to do. I suppose if they just want to 'want', persuading them to 'want' would be good too. - by Clive Miller
Oh, another thought, a quote really. "Do or do not do, their is no try". Most people attribute it to Yoda however, I guess it must have been George Lucas or one of the film script writers. Does anyone know? - by Clive Miller
Both...they wont DO anything except walk away if they don't want your product or sevice... - by Tony Dunne
In your opinion, is the role of a saleperson centered on influencing a prospect to WANT or to DO?
I see you have mastered the fact that the smallest questions are the most difficult.

This debate is actually centuries old: idealism vs. materialism which is the same as want vs. do.

In order to generate a want, there needs to be an object present to want.

In order to generate an action, there needs to be a compelling idea upon which to act.

It is not an either or proposition but rather a dialectic of opposites that invoke a singular state of communication. - by John Voris
"I do what you want." If you want me to take a hike bye-bye. If you want to buy let's see if we have a deal. If you want more information I can do that if I believe it's worth my time to do it.

Because I'm specific about what I do and want I apply that knowledge to my prospects and sometimes I may be wrong but usually I'm right.

Right or wrong, I still do what they want.

The best of doing and wanting and wanting to do more [or less of the wrong things] to everyone.

MitchM - by MitchM
Doing is the manifestation of wanting whereas wanting does not always result in doing.

However, if I focus on the doing such as signing the contract, I will never make the sale.

Both doing and wanting are essential catalysts that produce the sale.

Schizophrenia is called for it seems. - by John Voris
It is not an either or proposition but rather a dialectic of opposites that invoke a singular state of communication
Yep...what John said! - by MPrince
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.