Home > Personal Selling > How to be a one-call closer?

How to be a one-call closer?

Is it something all just dream of, or does anyone have any tried and true methods, no matter what the product(intangibles too)?:cu - by CRR247
In your opinion CRR247, what would the circumstances and/or situation need to be (specifically) in order for a one-call close to be possible? - by Jeff Blackwell
Is it something all just dream of, or does anyone have any tried and true methods, no matter what the product(intangibles too)?:cu
Probably a bad dream if a dream at all. The absolute top money earners in sales are NOT one call closers.

Rest assured there exist no tried and true methods towards that end. - by Gary A Boye
I have worked in both a one call close (business to consumer sale) as well as a complex sale (business to business sale.) I have also been in upper management and trained many sales people, in both type of sales. The principles of selling, whether selling in a one call close or in a complex sale, do not change. What does change is the strategies and tactics used.

My advice would be to gain a mastery of the principles of selling. Once you obtain expertise in these you will find that regardless of the type of sale you will be successful. - by Harold
I think everybody here knows that there is no tried and true method to guarantee a close in any type of selling...but that doesn't mean you can't strive for that type of success. I think Jeff's question makes perfect sense as a response to the topic because it forces you to look at the "what if" and then work the scenario from a different angle than others may have before you.

My thoughts CRR247,
Understand the product you are selling to the fullest. Rather than focusing on ways to introduce your product to people who may or may not be interested, switch gears and identify the demographic that absolutely NEEDS your product. If you know before you pick up the phone that the person on the receiving end of your call needs what you are trying to sell, absolutely NEEDS it, then you are closer than ever to being in a one call close scenario. - by WholesalePro
Occasionally a deal will close in one call but not consistently. A better what if is: what if you could learn the principles of human motivation and continue to be a student of them so attentively that over time you rose to the top of your sales situation regardless of the time it took to close a sale? Would that not be a worthy goal?

The best of what you get.

MitchM - by MitchM
A one call close only has value in a segment of the overall highly generalized field we call selling. In most of the other segments, striving for it would be counterproductive. - by Gary A Boye
That's an excellent insight, Gary. In my segment selling is a process of steps or stages even when the initial meeting begins with a "want to" and a willingness to enter the process.

MitchM - by MitchM
Probably a bad dream if a dream at all. The absolute top money earners in sales are NOT one call closers.

Rest assured there exist no tried and true methods towards that end.

"The absolute top money earners in sales are NOT one call closers."

What industry are you referring too? Where did you get this statistic?

I've been in door 2 door sales for just 14 years and the top earners close 80-95 percent of their sales on the 1st visit. The unfortunate people at the bottom of the barrel close the majority of their sales on the second visit.

This is in cable and satellite tv sales. Personally, I've tried setting up appointments before and I don't have a clue how to stop myself from selling on the 1st visit.

What I describe as a first visit is when I meet all of the decision makers for the 1st time. If I knock on the door and the major decision maker is not there or the dual decision maker is not there, I don't count that as the 1st visit.

Several times a week I sell to people who don't even want the product. If I sell to someone who wants the product I call them a lay down or order taking. I'm sure if I was selling more complex or expensive products, things would take a little longer to progress to a sell.

I'm curious how much money do you think the highest paid door 2 door people make per year? This could be any product or service. - by cs80918
cs80918, I don't post "statistics." I reference observations based on involvement and interchange with a vast variety of very successful salespeople.

I don't know what you're talking about when you say "specific industry." I can say with relative confidence that in your field, which is door to door, the top earners from my experience and exposure earn upwards of a half million dollars a year. However, that group represents such a tiny segment of the whole picture, the observation has little value for these discussions

The topic is one call closing. High money earners in such fields in advertising, and financial planning, industrial equipment, etc etc, would fail miserably if they tried to fit their work into a one call strategy. The progession of consent would require more time, as would the matching of products to needs and wants and circumstances. - by Gary A Boye
cs80918, I don't post "statistics." I reference observations based on involvement and interchange with a vast variety of very successful salespeople.

I don't know what you're talking about when you say "specific industry." I can say with relative confidence that in your field, which is door to door, the top earners from my experience and exposure earn upwards of a half million dollars a year. However, that group represents such a tiny segment of the whole picture, the observation has little value for these discussions

The topic is one call closing. High money earners in such fields in advertising, and financial planning, industrial equipment, etc etc, would fail miserably if they tried to fit their work into a one call strategy. The progression of consent would require more time, as would the matching of products to needs and wants and circumstances.
As usual, your posts reveal a penetrating view only experience can offer. Here you inferred that the product determines the sales procedure and not the reverse. Which is why the progression of consent is of course tied to the progression of perceived want, desire or need which is directed by the product itself.

I spent a total of 30 years in cold call selling. The first 20 were spent as one-time retail calling with the last 10 years wholesale calling often requiring call-backs.

Retail cold calling:
I carried an oder book and a product sample walking through industrial parks and retail stores I had never seen before. There was no pre-screening method.

In that one call sale, the rep must generate all the factors pertaining to the base elements of sales within minutes.

The rep must secure or generate:

1 Time
2 Interest
3 trust
4 Need, want or desire
5 Positive Corporate Brand
6 Money
7 Guarantee
8 Convenient delivery method
9 Referral
10 Follow-up

(And I'm sure others here could add additional factors)

However, I sold food products and everyone eats, making it a one-time sales industry. In fact, this type of selling focuses on the "impulse" buyer. That is what I found generally determines the "one-time" sales industry. And it is a very small segment of the total sales industry.

As far as a single technique we share with other door-to-door callers, to resonate our experienced people here---it does not exist. Each of us create our own single sales method. If the method does not express who you really are individually, it is fake and will be recognized as such by your prospect.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Comment:
I wish such an accessible pool of experience had been around in 1980 when I began sales. These post would have saved me time, frustration and, money. - by John Voris
I would agree with Gary’s statement that the ABSOLUTE top money earners work in a different industry to the one call close however top money earned is industry specific. Each industry has their absolute money winners. Comparing by money earned is insane and would include people like Madoff and really has no interest in a one call close or any significant discussion concerning sales. Door to Door happens to be one of that many industries that enjoy a one call close. However over 6 digit salaries can be attainable with work, education and skill.

A best practice with the one call close is to build the relationship. The relationship needs to be built not only on a professional basis it must include a personal relationship with each individual. Some individuals (clients) will not allow this to be built and he or she will only allow a professional relationship. A door needs to be built and both the client and I must walk through the open door together. This forum will not allow the full scope of this relationship to be explored or explained in detail and would take too long to explain it in total.

What is not industry specific is gaining information about the client. With the one call close the information is gathered in the discovery phase where the conversation is about the individual and not only about the product or service. I have many clients state I have no idea why I am telling you this and continue with their personal stories. I receive that statement with face to face and phone conversations. The comfort level of the client requires a very high level in order to be very successful.

This conversation allows me to understand the personality, mood, and motivation of the client. It informs me on the type of communication that is required. It gives me what the client thinks is a need and allows me to discover more wants. There are many more items that fill the toolbox that I have not mentioned and it would be ridiculous to think this is all that is required to be highly successful. It takes a ton of work.

Not every sale is a one call close our company and I have been involved with many one call closes from 3 grand to well over 34,000 dollar closes as well as many calls that had a few meetings to close these dollar amounts. It is never guaranteed to receive any sale in one call.
- by rich34232
Extraordinary post by Rich. I hope the members who are trying to learn something will read and re-read his post. - by Gary A Boye
Different products or services often require different steps to make a sale.

One call closing is generally performed when you can get face to face with the final decision maker. Depending on what you are selling it might take a number of steps to even get to the final decision maker.

How do I personally make a one call close?

Speed of conversation. When I ask questions, each one is formulated to get the prospect to make a minor DECISION.

I'm training the prospect to make QUICK decisions. If they ask a question I answer it and immediately get them back on track. If they are trying to sell me on why they don't want to buy I rebutal that asap and then immediately change their thought process.

Speed of conversation, its HUGE. The prospect usually only thinks about your product or service for a short time. The sales person thinks about it all the time. After, awhile you will begin to hear similiar responses. You have the advantage, in experience over the prospect, learn to use it. - by cs80918
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.