Home > Personal Selling > Techniques?

Some Questions:

How important are techniques in selling?

Why do you believe that?

What techniques do you use?

Which techniques do you wish you had available?

And, finally, what in your view is a technique? - by Gary A Boye
Technique: a practical method or art applied to some particular task; proficiency: skillfulness in the command of fundamentals deriving from practice and familiarity; "practice greatly improves proficiency

I've got to think about this, Gary - I have never looked at what I do that way. One quick response then I'll consider your quesitons in sequence and detail later: I like to get to the point: you say you have joint issues and I ask a few quesitons for clarity, I tell you what product I sell that can help, and in a few minutes most people say they want it or don't want it. Occasionally there's a time lag.

So the technique if it is a technique is: question, clarification, then to the point - asking for the sale.

Maybe this off the cuff will help get someone else going.

MitchM - by MitchM
Very thought-provoking, Gary. Interestedly, as I was reading through your list I said to myself, "First, we must define 'Technique'", then BLAMMO! I got to the end of your list and there it is.

Would you consider most of the standard cliched closes to be techniques? I think I would. I guess that in this context I would define technique as a specific repeatable set of actions designed to produce a certain result. - by DaveB
Sorry for being MIA I have been very busy with new opportunities and having the best two months of my life. I am really excited for the future and have met some real fascinating people. Hopefully I have more time to invest in some of the questions.
Very important
Fail to plan, plan to fail
Many; the guidelines I follow with my sales process, how to answer questions, concerns and objections, asking for the sale.
Not sure
A method that helps achieve a desired result
- by rich34232
Would you consider most of the standard cliched closes to be techniques?
In the context of what the proponents of such techniques believe to be a "close", I would have to say yes.

Whether such techniques hold up to scrutiny as to their effectiveness is a different topic.

Keep in mind, however, that there are newcomers that visit this forum that have no ideas what cliche'd closes we are talking about. That said, it always helps to show examples rather than offhand references. - by Gary A Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.