Home > Personal Selling > Beginner in Advertising Sales - Please Help!

Beginner in Advertising Sales - Please Help!

Hi everyone,

I'm starting my own advertising company and trying to learn the basics of selling.

I have few questions about needs discovery. The point of needs discovery is to point out hidden needs of the prospect that he might not aware of otherwise. Am I correct?

What if the prospect has no need of your product? Do you say "Thank you and see you later." or you find(force) a need to him/her?

Since I'm selling advertising, and the point of advertising is to increase sales and profits, shouldn't this be a need for every business? In this case, do I still need to perform needs discovery even though I know every business needs advertising?

Lastly, can someone point me to some books and videos that give out concrete and practical examples of a sales call? I read few books about selling but most of them are philosophies which don't apply to me because I don't know where to start. - by johnkim
Hi John and welcome.

Looks like you're going in-at-the-deep-end?

I suggest you approach a few target companies (the kind you'd like to do business with ultimately)

Tell them you have nothing to sell yet....

And ask if they would help you.

Just ask 'em what are the three most important things they look for when they want to do some advertising. - by helisell
Hi John and welcome.

Looks like you're going in-at-the-deep-end?

I suggest you approach a few target companies (the kind you'd like to do business with ultimately)

Tell them you have nothing to sell yet....

And ask if they would help you.

Just ask 'em what are the three most important things they look for when they want to do some advertising.
I have thought for many years that "three" is a magic number for structuring, and substructuring sales conversations. - by Gary A Boye
Yes Gary

I fell in love with threes quite a few years ago.

Been preaching threes and I still don't know why it feels right.....but it just does.....and in all sorts of scenarios.

Spooky world eh? - by helisell
Yes Gary

I fell in love with threes quite a few years ago.

Been preaching threes and I still don't know why it feels right.....but it just does.....and in all sorts of scenarios.

Spooky world eh?
I sometimes think about what so many people, who are trying to make it in sales, miss out on by not zeroing in on things like that. - by Gary A Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.