Home > Jobs > New in the Sales Industry - NEED ADVICE

New in the Sales Industry - NEED ADVICE

Hi,

This will be my second year in sales. I came from a logistics background so this is all very new to me. I'm still getting to know all about the products and techniques.

I work for a high end office furniture manufacturer and deal with corporate clients, very demanding and often very powerful people.

There's a few problems that im facing and need help.

Problems

1) When i show the client around the showroom i sometimes talk too much about the technical features and need some more questions or phrase to engage them more. I get them to sit behind the desk to get the feel office but i need more Va Voom.

2) There is another sales guy who has 15yrs more experience than me, is very structured and very persistant. We butt heads now and then, he's getting alot of leads and industry knowledge. How can i get on top of him and be more active?

3) Structure - I have no structure or direction I need this alot. I've been trying to capture all my offers/orders/loses in an excell spreadsheet which is going well but need to manage my time and structure meetings / presentations.

4) Relationships - I'm not one to talk hours on the phone but need to start building business relationships any tips how to get started ie maybe calling certain people once every week - meeting up after work i have no experience in this....

Thanks - by DrvDude
1) When i show the client around the showroom i sometimes talk too much about the technical features and need some more questions or phrase to engage them more. I get them to sit behind the desk to get the feel office but i need more Va Voom.
Humans have two ears and one mouth. You should listen twice as much as you speak.

Instead of talking about features, talk about benefits. When your customer comes into your store and are browsing for items ask what they are after, what features are important to them and WRITE IT DOWN. Carry a note pad and write everything down. When it comes to recommending a product, you will have everything written down that is important to them.

Then drive home the reason why your product is right for them. After all, you have everything they told you on your notepad.

2) There is another sales guy who has 15yrs more experience than me, is very structured and very persistant. We butt heads now and then, he's getting alot of leads and industry knowledge. How can i get on top of him and be more active?
Get 15 years of experience!

Don't worry about other people, worry about yourself. Focus on improving your own sales presentation (listen to my Point #1). I don't have sales presentations, I have a sales structure;
1. Rapport
2. Discovery
3. Recommend
4. Ask / Close

3) Structure - I have no structure or direction I need this alot. I've been trying to capture all my offers/orders/loses in an excell spreadsheet which is going well but need to manage my time and structure meetings / presentations.
Forget the spreadsheet, focus on your presentation. I think you aren't having success with leads because you are showing the customer BENEFIT.

4) Relationships - I'm not one to talk hours on the phone but need to start building business relationships any tips how to get started ie maybe calling certain people once every week - meeting up after work i have no experience in this....
Build better relationships at work. Sponge off the more experienced people at work.

Keep your pride and ego at the door and listen to what your experienced top guns tell you. No one is too old for advise, not even Jeff the SalesPractice creator. - by MrCharisma
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.