Home > Management > Restaurant sales

Restaurant sales

Hello there, my name is Kevin and I am kind of new to this site. I have to say I have learned quite a bit thus far! However, I am in a quandary and I haven’t found what I am really looking for. I am currently a Service Manager of a Restaurant that is rather large in many areas. My only real background in sales is bar tending. I spent 15 years as a firefighter paramedic and was injured abruptly, so I went into the restaurant/bar industry. I have been Service manager now for 9 months, and have been quite successful at it. The one thing that I lack is ways to increase my employee’s sales. Last year our Guest check average was just under 16 dollars, this year it is just under 15. I have tried the obvious pep talk about upselling larger menu items and promoting bar sales. I have tried various games with staff other ways to make promoting more fun but I am at the end. Does anyone out there have any suggestions on how I can accomplish this? I have set myself a goal to get our average up to fifty cents higher than last year in the next three months. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! - by ks6674
Well, there is a great deal of information that is lacking such as; the state you're in, the economy there, employee overall satisfaction, wage satisfaction, a fair tip dispersement plan, work load etc.

However, my first thought is its a depressed economy. Most are just trying survive regardless of how large they are.

If that is not the reason, I would take each employee aside alone and ask why they believe they have been unable to increase the sales average. I say alone because staff motivation may be down due to inner conflict that each one prefers to keep confidential.

If they all agree to one or two reasons, chances are it is accurate and you should act on it.

Whenever you want to promote something the staff should be doing, you must explore why its not. They may provide a surprise answer. - by John Voris
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.