Home > Personal Selling > The trouble with looking for a sale right now...

The trouble with looking for a sale right now...

Why is it that so many sales people have a NOW obsession?
If you donít get a yes right now then you still have a prospect for the future and the more of those you have the less cold calling or prospecting you have to do.
If you adopt that mindset youíll actually sell more now anyway because both you and youíre prospect will be more relaxed anyway...
Should we be adopt a more long term approach? - by Tony Dunne
Why is it that so many sales people have a NOW obsession?
If you donít get a yes right now then you still have a prospect for the future and the more of those you have the less cold calling or prospecting you have to do.
If you adopt that mindset youíll actually sell more now anyway because both you and youíre prospect will be more relaxed anyway...
Should we be adopt a more long term approach?
What is a "NOW obsession?" - by Gary A Boye
A huge focus on doing business now, pushing too hard and often not having the chance at doing business in the future because they put their own agenda before the prospects. Its a now or nothing kind of approach.

In the past year I'd have trained thousands of sale people and the majority of them put too much importance on doing business now and alienating their prospects in the process. I call it "a now obsession", maybe i should have explained it a little clearer to start with... - by Tony Dunne
...Should we be adopt a more long term approach?
I think this is industry specific.

Outbound calling often wouldn't be able to do a long term approach and nor could Door2Door.

In my ideal world of rainbows, flower and candy I would like sales people to adopt a more long term sales process and read prospects buying temperature and not just close a sale because they have a KPI to achieve.

I don't live in that world and I do realise there is situations where this technique doesn't work. So to answer your question, I think those who can offer time to the sales decision, they should.

How long is long though? - by MrCharisma
To answer this you would need to perform some math.

How many customers' buy on the 1st visit?

How many buy on the 2nd visit?

How many on the 3rd, 4th, 5th etc?

How much time does the person that does not buy on the 1st visit, take to buy?

Would your time be better used selling primarly to people who buy on the 1st visit?

What is your oppurtunity cost of selling to people on the 1st, 2nd, etc visit?

If you were not spending time attempting to sell 2nd,3rd,4th visit people, what would you be doing?

Does it take you an average of 1 day to sell a 1st visit person?

Does it take you 5 days to sell a 2nd,3rd,4th visit person?

Are you able to schedule 2nd,3rd, visit people during hours of the day that might be less productive? - by cs80918
Sales people with their "now" obsession...it's understandable isn't it? I mean, the career of a salesperson is to sell a product or service. Its great to create a long term prospect, but when push comes to shove, if you have to choose, it should be the sell first before the long term prospect.

Customers are always changing their mind and needs. What they might need now can change later on and then you just lost a potential sale. - by Michael Dalton Johnson
An interesting range of views...
How about an idea of going for the sale when the time is right...that may be now and it may be in the future. If our agenda is now, we run the risk of creating resistance by putting our agenda over the top of the prospects agenda. - by Tony Dunne
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.