Home > Personal Selling > Now go sell something!

Now go sell something!

Several times in the past I heard others recount stories about the "training" they received in a sales job that went something along the lines of... there is your desk, there is the white pages, now go sell something. What do you think... Urban legend or reality? - by Community Mailbox
Several times in the past I heard others recount stories about the "training" they received in a sales job that went something along the lines of... there is your desk, there is the white pages, now go sell something. What do you think... Urban legend or reality?
It's on the cusp of urban legend. But the reality of many employers who do not have a clue on how to train, provide strategy for, motivate, and guide salespeople is depressing. - by Gary A Boye
Several times in the past I heard others recount stories about the "training" they received in a sales job that went something along the lines of... there is your desk, there is the white pages, now go sell something. What do you think... Urban legend or reality?
It's a technique I identify in my training as the "Watch George" method. New sales people (while your example is specific) are 'trained' how to do their job by watching a high achiever. Never taught the methods and why they do things they are do.

It isn't an urban legend, I've seen it in the flesh and many sales people I work with have come through this technique. - by MrCharisma
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.