Home > Marketing > Marketing ideas for a small business

Marketing ideas for a small business

What are some creative marketing strategies for a small service industry company specifically HVAC,Plumbing, and Electrical companies?

Looking for ideas that can generate business quickly. Internet presence and blogs are fantastic however it is a long term return and takes time.

Radio, TV, Mailers are common forms of advertising to help what other ways?

Thank you for your contribution.

Best Regards
Rich - by rich34232
Hi Rich,

The simplest and most cost effective idea is getting your business name appear in the first page of Google search for local searchers searching for your products/ services, whatever it might be. This is different from SEO, which is much tougher. Here, the local businesses are given preference for listing, in each city/ town.

Get your business listed. You can even do this as business service for local business; it's a huge business opportunity right now.

All the best,

Ganesan. - by ezynes
Hey Rich -- in your chosen field, one of the fastest ways to add revenue is to contact every single one of your former customers by telephone or email and ask how everything is going or can you do anything for them?

If you lost a customer to a competitor's bid, follow up with them by saying something like, "Hey, just checking to see if everything went OK on the last _________. If you need any help or I can do anything for you, please keep me in mind."

It wouldn't hurt to drop a postcard in the mail to everybody once every two months, either.

You can even add a promotion to the message (change of season service, free inspection for your former customers, etc).

If you're in residential, introduce yourself to five neighbors (or leave a "just in the neighborhood" card at every job site or service call.

You can start right now and it won't cost you a penny.

All the best - MM - by magicman
I agree, I wonder if you can take advantage of local coupons like city wide deals. - by tx101
Contact some non-competing small businesses serving customers in your market. Offer to publicize their products or services to your customers in exchange for their publicizing your services to their customers. This usually produces a large number of sales for a very low cost. - by amuthanjrv
you can also approach the local business owners who is interested in your products or services. you can take the leads from yellowpages or local newpapers.

hope this helps. - by WilliamHarry
Hi Rich -- Just wanted to check in and see how you are doing. Have any of the ideas above helped you?

I've worked extensively in TV and radio. I wouldn't recommend TV, but if you want some radio ideas, just let me know.

All the best -- MM - by magicman
Hi guys

Here is a list of things I have done
1. joined referral groups and networking 3 times a week with different groups.
2 opened email addresses for each of our plumbers to increase ways to communicate with the home owner
3. we have always used mailers now we are tracking when is the best time to discover trends and send the mailers when they are most useful
4. I have always called my clients now I have the rest of the staff believing in this part
5. Opened up a face book page
6.Increased our web presence with effective seo words
7. web site more user friendly however it is still a long way from where we need it to be
8. More training for the guys with communicating with the customer

Thanks for the ideas. - by rich34232
Hi Rich -- Congratulations on all the good initiatives you have started and are working on. Thanks for the update.

Have you taken advantage of the free website offered by Google called "Google Places?"

MM - by magicman
Hi Rich,

I'd like to add my weight to what ezynes wrote.

Google local can help you a lot.... But, you need to do it right.

Your Google local listing has to be linked to your website.
You need to have your local listing in with some promotional sites like TrueLocal or CitySearch.
You need to get some of your satisfied customers to post their positive comments on your Google local page.

All of this is pretty easy if you just follow the steps on Google local listing pages.

You are already covering different bases with mailouts, Facebook and networking strategies this will just bring in another set of referrals from a different demographic.

All the best, Greg - by Greg Woodley

I forgot 1 more thing. There is a loclas magazine that publishes for condo management,realtors,property managers and associations,businesses, doctors offices and I am the only plumber listed in the magazine.

I agree the Google listing is important and we have looked into that however we have not acted on it as of yet. - by rich34232
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.