Home > Personal Selling > Agree or Disagree

Agree or Disagree

In a closed thread by Sharon Drew Morgen, she wrote the following:
I believe that our current sales model of solution placement and needs analysis, combined with all of the capability now available to buyers on the net (which in many cases co-opts our jobs), is making our jobs (as they have been until now) irrelevant.
Do you agree, disagree, or feel lost in the context?

Keep in mind, we have no real way of knowing what her personal perception of "currrent sales model" is. - by Gary A Boye
Hi Gary
I may be missing something but I do feel lost in the context. If she is stating that the current role of the sales person has become irrelevant, then I disagree.
Positive Regards - by salesdog
I am assuming she is saying; because there is so much information available online prospects don't need us as salespeople.

I totally disagree...that would be like saying cell phones have made us irrelevant or any modern tool at our disposal. The internet, when used properly by the salesperson, can make us more necessary than ever before. - by MPrince
Obviously I pulled those words from a longer post and in fairness to Morgen I hope everybody reads the whole article and draws their own conclusions. However I think the self contained words that are in the excerpt do not bear up to serious scrutiny. That said, I disagree with what she wrote. - by Gary A Boye
Being a sales person involves more than merely being an 'information department for the features of a product'. It takes a more sophisticated salesperson to compete today, than ever before. - by Paulette Halpern
Being a sales person involves more than merely being an 'information department for the features of a product'. It takes a more sophisticated salesperson to compete today, than ever before.
I believe that being a sales person ALWAYS involved more than merely being an 'information department for the features of a product'.

Where does the sophistication come in? And where was it lacking before? - by Gary A Boye
I believe that being a sales person ALWAYS involved more than merely being an 'information department for the features of a product'.

Where does the sophistication come in? And where was it lacking before?

If you have listened to many sales people they still sound like 'pitchmen or pitchwomen' hawking merchandise or services with a bullhorn. They may have added a question or two, because they read some books with that concept, but they still want to do a 'dog and pony' show, and 'convince someone that they must have this and from them'. - by Paulette Halpern
... but they still want to do a 'dog and pony' show, and 'convince someone that they must have this and from them'.
Hi Paulette. Can you please elaborate on this idea? Thank you! thmbp2; - by Jeff Blackwell
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.