Home > Consumer Behavior > People don't have to want your product to buy from you.

People don't have to want your product to buy from you.

CLOSE in the following conversation means, getting the customer to commit to buying the product/service.

I heard the following about 3 years into my sales career. "They don't have don't want it, you just have to close them."

It didn't make sense to me when I first heard it. After, this concept was explained to me I was able to grasp the concept.

The method is to manipulate the prospect into saying yes. Then after the prospect is tricked into saying yes most people are too embarassed to back out. Of course after the person is closed then you comfort them and often times you well begin to hear them actually justify their decision.

I learned how to do this very well, but after awhile I thought there was a more mutual/friendly/professional way to sell.

Over the last 11 years I have stayed clear from closes and just had conversations with people and I helped them understand how the product/service was going to help them and I let them make the decision.

Well it worked good with some people and not so good with others.

I learned how to build rapport and many other things. Recently, I have revisted the concept of closing people no matter if they want the product or not.

My sales have sky rocketed.

Anyone else try this method? - by cs80918
Anyone else try this method?
You haven't described the method one iota. Tell how you "trick" your customers, then we'll have some comments to make--good, bad, or indifferent. - by Gary A Boye
If you don't know what I mean by tricking a customer into saying yes, then you are not using the method, so that means your answer is no I don't use that method.

Extreme example:

I had a prospect say "I don't want it."

I said "How do you spell your last name."

The customer gave me their last name, they bought the product.

Some people automatically respond to a question.

In other words they have to talk theirself out of being sold.

It is ANY method that the prospect gets caught up in (trapped). - by cs80918
If you don't know what I mean by tricking a customer into saying yes, then you are not using the method, so that means your answer is no I don't use that method.
That is correct. I don't trick customers.

However my conversion rate is one of the highest in my industry.

I sometimes get criticized for not subscribing to the belief that my customer is my opponent. - by Gary A Boye
My belief is if someone is currently using a product and I am selling an alternative, that a person can use, using any method to get them to buy is justified, as long as I'm not lying.

People might want your product or need your product but it doesn't mean they will buy from you. However; if you get them to agree or trick them into buying then they are pretty much sold.

If you believe in what you're selling and the method is highly effective, then I see no harm. - by cs80918
I understand what you are stating however I am opposed to your terminology. Tricked and manipulating a client into owning is not a method that I prescribe to or will ever indulge. Convince and guide would be better terminology. I have never nor will I ever trick a client I want long term repeat clients. I would never do this with a product the client will not use or does not need.

There are many clients that do not have the knowledge of the products and services that would fit their lifestyle, business better and it is my job to present the client a better opportunity. That is not tricking the client into owning. It is giving more information to him or her that allows the client to make a better decision.

I have a very high conversion rate along with the ability to receive additional sales with a very high percentage rate with my clients. The best thing and one that I am most proud of is I have many repeat clients that any of our sales technicians can go visit and be successful.

Again there are no smoking mirrors, tricking, manipulation it is done with ethics, integrity and honesty at all times.
I am standing with Gary.
- by rich34232
Look, boys and girls, if I may be so BOLD, the process of selling is a need satisfaction process ... it is showing the client hos the benefits of your product or service address their needs.

We don't sell what people don't want. We show people how they can get what they want from what we offer. And this is not a subtle difference.

Please, this is a profession, we are not scam artisits. we must understand needs and address them professionally ... a close is not a technique for selling "snowballs to Eskimos" it is a tool for gaining confirmation when you are very sure you have a basis for a sale.

If you have to try and close people you are almost sure don't have a need for what you offer it is infinitely more likely that you have too few prospects and than any lacking in the skill that gains confirmation that you have the order (closing)!

My my ... I leave the forum for a year and look where it ends up! - by Gold Calling
I believe this approach only makes sense to people who have been in an extremely impulse buying type business.

Low priced items were the consequence of purchasing the product or service is pocket change.

I am not talking about selling something that someone will not use or can not use.

Would you like the red one or blue one? Some people just have a hard time saying neither.

I have sold $20 items and $36,000 items using similiar closes. However; when selling the higher priced items generally more finesse is needed.

To me closing is used to help someone "emotionally" progress to a yes.

Buying is done with a great deal of emotion, if everyone bought only using logic, then the market place would look alot different.

If everyone bought only using logic then all a sales person would have to do is work for the company that is the most logical choice.

The thing with logic is, its not universal. Is it logical to stay with a company that is, so large that you have no PERSONAL relationship with that company, but somehow you are loyal to them? When another company would be just as loyal and be a better fit for what you need?

Is it logical to continue to over eat? Is it logical to smoke? Is it logical to etc etc etc?

We as humans are not always logical and some of us are hardly ever logical, but we sure are emotional. - by cs80918
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.