Home > Personal Selling > Prospect concealment and the bottom line.

Prospect concealment and the bottom line.

What percentage of sales do you believe are lost due to prospects withholding vital personal information and not poor sales techniques? - by John Voris
Great question! I'm not sure of percentages, but I know sales are lost to this.

I as a buyer sometimes do this. I will have a question in my mind, but will not ask the sales person, because I want to research it myself or I'm just too lazy to ask.

That is why I think discovery alone is incomplete. Do some discovery, but also do some razzle dazzle. Add some zest and pop.

Some very fast bullet points that address some common information that you know some prospects don't reveal.

If you don't make a statement of it, someone else will.

I call it sealing all known exits.

They don't need to know how the clock works, they only need to see thats its pretty, only tell how it works if they ask.

Or some people call it pre-rebuttal. Some or many people have objections that they never mention.

Just rattle off benefits, in simplistic short entertaining setences and read their body language and see if something perks their interest. All along getting them to nod or smile or agree or whatever. Then when your done say "When I mentioned the shiny blue one sir, I noticed you seemed interested."

What made you feel that way?

Also, people have preconceived notions and they don't bother bringing something up. - by cs80918
Great question! I'm not sure of percentages, but I know sales are lost to this.

I as a buyer sometimes do this. I will have a question in my mind, but will not ask the sales person, because I want to research it myself or I'm just too lazy to ask.

That is why I think discovery alone is incomplete. Do some discovery, but also do some razzle dazzle. Add some zest and pop.

Some very fast bullet points that address some common information that you know some prospects don't reveal.

If you don't make a statement of it, someone else will.

I call it sealing all known exits.

They don't need to know how the clock works, they only need to see thats its pretty, only tell how it works if they ask.

Or some people call it pre-rebuttal. Some or many people have objections that they never mention.

Just rattle off benefits, in simplistic short entertaining setences and read their body language and see if something perks their interest. All along getting them to nod or smile or agree or whatever. Then when your done say "When I mentioned the shiny blue one sir, I noticed you seemed interested."

What made you feel that way?

Also, people have preconceived notions and they don't bother bringing something up.
Thank you for your response and your perspective is well taken.

But keep in mind, if the prospect does not want to reveal an important issue to you, changes are it will stay hidden beneath their feigned willingness to cooperate.

Asking for a percentage amount, offers an exercise of mental exploration and reality checking. Regardless of the percentage you assign, that amount represents freedom from guilt and self incrimination. - by John Voris
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.