Home > Personal Development > Potential of the Human Mind

Potential of the Human Mind

Here's a question that probably will get some varying responses. Actually two questions.

Do you ever think about what the greatest potential of a human mind is? If so, what belief have you drawn?

If you haven't thought about it, perhaps it would not be a good time in your life to answer the second question. - by Gary A Boye
I read some studies that say we use only a percentage of our mind and I have read some studies that say we use all of it.

What exactly are you talking about? Are you talking about being able to read minds? Are you talking about moving objects with thought?

Are you talking about being able to invent new and amazing things?

As a christian I have certain beliefs that guide me on this subject. Such as I believe that God is the storer of knowledge and he in his own timing choose when to release certain information into the human mind. - by cs80918
I read some studies that say we use only a percentage of our mind and I have read some studies that say we use all of it.
I have read many studies that say the former, but never one that implied the latter. Would you, for the sake of members including yours truly, tell us the source(s) on that. I'd love to read (them). - by Gary A Boye
The Power of the Mind

Many wonder what is it that keeps them from accomplishing simply amazing phenomenons. What really is the reason for failure and what drives success? Do we really know or understand what is in the back of our mind? What is the driving force that allows them to do or not do?

What makes a person hold on when times are tough? What makes a sick person suddenly become well. What drives the fight in us that creates a feeling that we cannot be beaten down. In the back of your mind you live for the time.

Each person possesses a power that is unimaginable and the issue is having the ability to reach deep and pull out the resources to move forward. What controls this power? What unleashes this power? How do we harness the power for constructive purposes?
This strange and yet wonderful power yields positive results when we decide to create as opposed to becoming destructive. It drives the fantasy and it yields reality. It is the reality of our thoughts that hold each person back or makes them move mountains.
It is a belief structure that states simply there is nothing that I cannot defeat, move or go through. It is courage to take a stand and give of yourself to find and strengthen your resolve. It is a will to do more than survive. Will, alone never stands much of a chance it must be accompanied by a want or desire, to move those mountains. Will and want must have action standing nearby. Without action the will and want wastes and rots away to become jealousy, ignorance becoming a cancer to the mental aspects of life.

The most magnificent component to moving mountains once lost may be found again and again. It never leaves the mind what leaves is the spirit and will to move forward. A push, nudge whatever it takes to gain the spirit must be done.

One way to move forward quit seeking to try. What is wanted and replaces I will try is I will do. I cannot do is replace with I will do. No way is replaced by there is a way and I will do it.
I heard Robert Schuler state this statement. "What would you wish for if your dreams could not fail?" I took that statement to mean my dreams or goals should coincide with the dream that cannot fail. They should be the extreme not a light weight goal or dream just in case I can succeed. I will succeed and I will receive my dream with open arms. My dream will escape from the back of my mind and into reality. Make it happen. Pull the resources to find a way to accomplish what is needed to become the accomplished dream.

Positive thoughts bring positive results. Negative thoughts bring negative results. Having this knowledge it makes perfect sense to maintain a positive thought process. This is much easier said than capable. We must become clever and experienced to not allow the negative vibes to bring us down. It is much easier to be sad than happy. We have so much doom and gloom on the television, radio and newspapers. The news concentrates on the doom and hides the great uplifting news and on page 99, search for the good news and reflect that with the proper images running through the mind.
We must compliment our life with high-quality positive extraordinary thoughts. Think of the joys of life. Spouse, partner, and children, relatives, family and friends that give us a boost, make us laugh. What brings a smile to your face? That is a positive thought and way of life.

Having a higher power to answer and ask questions is happiness to some. Allow this feeling to express the goodness that all higher powers teach. When you are helping another receive what they ask for you will also receive what you ask for in return. The expectation is to do good and spread the goodness. Pay if forward symptom.

The power of the mind turning from negative to positive is astonishing stuff. This allows you to find a proper road to travel concerning people. This allows you to help the person and not to do it to them.

Once we condition the mind to think positively it is a natural progression to express happiness with actions. Doing the right thing becomes synonymous. A sense of pride and joy enhances the confidence and our ability to perform on a daily basis.
The winds of change are accompanied by the want to change and that the person matters. Making a difference in other people’s life will instill a deep satisfaction that you have a purpose and delivering on the purpose.

The power of the mind cannot be controlled however we must feed the mental aspect with knowledge. This knowledge comes from reading, working with others, and observation defining the sense of purpose. Combining the above and adding goals or dreams that one must aspire to reach. Without a dream or goals it becomes extremely difficult reaching for self happiness.
Creative thoughts may come from wife, spouse, and partner, children, music, and books, inspirational leaders, government and not limited to these places, person or things. Open your mind and start accepting the magical power from the mind that stops at nothing and conquers all. Exercise the mind, massage the mind and watch life explode with quality and a positive outlook for now and in the future.

The attitude that we are born, live, and die with and adding little or nothing else, does not allow potential to grow and become reality. Think further than that and make a difference in your life and others. Choose to grow and impossible becomes possible.
Reach that bar that is raised above your head. Hold your head high and reach what was once thought as unreachable with an open mind and a creative mind. Unleash the power of the mind to bring forward that greatness deep inside of each person. Find a way to do it and success follows.

Where does one discover this fantastic power to move forward and upward? It is hidden in each individual and must be revealed, nurtured and exploited. The door must be opened and a decision to walk through and harness the power.

I hope this speaks to your question
Rich

- by rich34232
I have read many studies that say the former, but never one that implied the latter. Would you, for the sake of members including yours truly, tell us the source(s) on that. I'd love to read (them).
Actually, they're both true because of the many interpretations and assumptions that surround the word "use."

Does "use" mean over a life-time we never go beyond 10%?

Does "use" mean that 10% represents 100% of what we need at any given time?

Does "use' mean that 100% of the brain is able to be used in a moments notice and we are guilty of neglect at the rate of 90%?

Does the remaining 90% represent untapped human potential or normal capacities we use everyday waiting to be needed. (While thinking of an apple, the neurons for all other fruit are still present just not being used)

The above certainly does not represent all of the discussions on this topic but give you an idea of the complexity of the issue.

If you want to know more, explore brain dormancy studies. - by John Voris
The question was about the Potential of the a human mind. Not about cells or usage.

With regard to one contributor's reference to "most scientists" I'll mention that only a portion of scientists are involved in studies of the human mind. - by Gary A Boye
I think it was Napoleon Hill who said " what your mind can conceive and believe you can achieve. "
Positive Regards - by salesdog
What separates Napoleon Hill from those who have yet to discover or decide that for themselves? We all live with an abundance of evidence in those matters. I can't believe he had more evidence than others.

If his words are true, either we live it or we don't. There is a saying: "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him." - by Gary A Boye
There is a saying: "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him."
Never heard of this one!

We don't know the full potential of our brain, and yet we are trying to use it less and less - watching TV, reality shows and lives of others - instead of learning how to improve the capacity and usage of our brain cells.
Did you know that if our brain receives 10 information per second, each and every second of our life, it will not be full? - by AlenMajer
The question was about the Potential of the a human mind. Not about cells or usage.

With regard to one contributor's reference to "most scientists" I'll mention that only a portion of scientists are involved in studies of the human mind.

I agree that "potential" was originally in reference to the human mind, however, the mind cannot be measured as yet. So, for me the discussion moved to brain potential when percentages entered the discussion.

When science announces that 90% of our mental potential is not being used, they are referring to the measurable brain traces resulting from MRI and other scans. These scans can only measure the effects of mind activity and not the mind as cause.

Neural sciences are pushing to establish a physical explanation for all mental activities. However, the brain still cannot explain how we are aware of our own consciousness. They have a long way to go.

For me, mind potential is limitless but such capacities cannot be actualized without methods of improving and enhancing brain function. - by John Voris
Neural sciences are pushing to establish a physical explanation for all mental activities. However, the brain still cannot explain how we are aware of our own consciousness. They have a long way to go.

For me, mind potential is limitless but such capacities cannot be actualized without methods of improving and enhancing brain function.
When explanations do evolve, I believe they will evolve from the realm of quantum physics. - by Gary A Boye
When explanations do evolve, I believe they will evolve from the realm of quantum physics.

That makes sense.

I believe that through the discoveries made from the quantum concepts, Cartesian psychology (duality of mind) will be re-examined and be found responsible for aspects of "mind reading". Seasoned sales people experience forms of mind reading every day but call it intuition. - by John Voris
That makes sense.

I believe that through the discoveries made from the quantum concepts, Cartesian psychology (duality of mind) will be re-examined and be found responsible for aspects of "mind reading". Seasoned sales people experience forms of mind reading every day but call it intuition.
Cartesian psychology. Synchronicity going on here. This from my morning Facebook page:
"Reflections over coffee. I believe Descartes had it wrong. It should be 'I express therefore I am.' "

- by Gary A Boye
Cartesian psychology. Synchronicity going on here. This from my morning Facebook page:
"Reflections over coffee. I believe Descartes had it wrong. It should be 'I express therefore I am.' "

Yes, in fact your quote, "I express therefore I am," is the essence of our research regarding motivation.

Through reduction of all wants and desires they will always find a single need: to express the Authentic Identity through conforming symbols of meaning.

By reading the conforming symbols associated with your prospect, you can isolate and define that Identity and "know" what motivates that person in life. (Even spouses)

Now, language your widget into the description of that Authentic Motivator and if there is a match--you have a sale. You can also "read" that motivator even before meeting your prospect. That is very interesting and can be taught. - by John Voris
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.