Home > Education > Sales 2.0 - What is Sales 2.0?

Sales 2.0 - What is Sales 2.0?

It seems like there is still no agreed upon definition, among those using the term, for "Sales 2.0" however on the Sales 1.0 website is the following:
The label "Sales 2.0" refers to the use of web enabled technologies (i.e., Web 2.0) in the business or activity of selling. Examples of such technologies include Social Media and Customer Relationship Management (CRM).
How do you define "Sales 2.0"?

For links to related discussions visit: http://www.salespractice.com/forums/t-11693.html
- by Community Mailbox
Ok I am going to bite and ask
What are sales 2.0?

Is using a web page to sell a company and their products on line allowing a company to get in contact with me?

Is it social media to build credibility and drive someone to want to do business with me?

Is it having a sales blog to build creditability?

Is it using email to make contact and keep contact with a client?
How do you sell with technology that enhances sales?

This is an area that I would like to start to understand. We have a web page and it does generate business however our staff rarely uses email to follow upkeep in touch with our client. In the past 30 days I have been able to show our sales service technicians the benefit of using emails. I have been involved with 3 clients that have turned into over ten grand. Two of the three started with a phone conversation, the other a face to face meeting. The follow up with all three has been through emails. Is this sales 2.0?

Can a person who knows very little about the computer be successful with Sales 2.0?

What additional skills would a Sales 2.0 required above the necessary skills involved with b2c?

I have many more questions but this is a good start for me to learn a little at a time.

Rich - by rich34232
Rich, this is a definition from The Sales 2.0 Advocate:
Sales 2.0 is the use of innovative sales practices, focused on creating value for both buyer and seller and enabled by Web 2.0 and next-generation technology. Sales 2.0 practices combine the science of process-driven operations with the art of collaborative relationships, using the most profitable and most expedient sales resources required to meet customers’ needs. This approach produces superior, predictable, repeatable business results, including increased revenue, decreased sales costs, and sustained competitive advantage.
- by Gary A Boye
That is a pretty wide brush.Basically sales 2.0 is any type sale completed by the web and could include no sales person. The web
would replace the sales person?

Gary how do you use 2.0?How effective have you found its uses?How do your clients like this?How do clients get answers to questions or concerns?

What does innovative sales practice mean concerning sales 2.0?

Would the things that I asked be under sales 2.0?

It would seem that emails would not be innovative due to resembling the regular mail with the exception that regular mail takes longer?

Advertising on the web and having a client buy on line to me would be the same as print or tv advertising and having the client come down to the store to buy.

The speed that the buyer can buy is increased with sales 2.0.Am I correct in assuming the above?

Does this mean innovative is switching from radio and print to web based advertising and buying in one step? - by rich34232

It would seem that emails would not be innovative due to resembling the regular mail with the exception that regular mail takes longer?
I think we have reached a point where emails are not innovative--they are part of the daily life for a significant portion of the population. However, emails are not just a faster form of written communication than "regular" mail. The latter, in business usage, is largely a documentation venue. Emails are not only that (legally btw), but have given people the ability to resolve, negotiate, clarify, quote, engage, and exchange information in way that comes close to real time, and in many cases just that--real time. Things move faster today in many many ways. - by Gary A Boye
Does this mean innovative is switching from radio and print to web based advertising and buying in one step?
That would be an oversimplification in observing and addressing what is taking place in advertising. One can't ignore the obvious. Print advertising effectiveness is in serious decline. Radio effectiveness is also experiencing decline.

I'm not sure what you mean by web based advertising. Do you mean web marketing? At the present juncture, web based "advertising" by small companies is more in the realm of search and listing. This is why the publishers of "yellow page" directories are aggressively aboard. - by Gary A Boye
Gary, I have no idea what I mean and that is why I am on this fishing expedition to get you to tell us more. The things I have thrown out are really questions. I am still at a loss to understand exactly what 2.0 sales is.

What is new and innovative that sales 2.0 covers?

My limited understanding of a web page is for advertising and marketing,purchasing.

I understand the advertising can go a bit further with pop-up ads.

Keep giving us what it is and how to use it if you would. This is after all a sales help site and I am in this thread to learn as much as I can and send me in the right direction to learn more to benefit our company and our clients.

I could not thank you guys enough for this thread and the chance to learn more about something I have absolutely no knowledge and would like to know more.

Starting at the basics and moving forward would be fantastic. - by rich34232
Rich, I'm going to take this discussion slightly off center and share a perspective that might help a lot of people.

Back in 1994, I was influenced by the work of a well known economist when he said something more prophetic than profound. His message was that the masses can reject new technology almost at will, but they can't reject new forms of distribution. Distribution has become like manifest destiny.

The reason I cite that is to make the point that we think we are talking about new technology on this thread, but we are not. We are talking about distribution. The commodity is information. Technology, good, bad, or indifferent, accepted or rejected, merely is the 18 wheelers that haul information.

The changes in distribution of information today cannot be fought. Our job is to constantly tune into those changes as they occur. The best of us--a very small group--will create those changes. But again--that is a small group. - by Gary A Boye
Thanks Gary you have put it in a way that makes this not so scary and a venture that we all should be using in our every day practice.

I have seen sales 2.0 in various sites and in the sales magazines. I start to read it and immediately the terminology is way over my head with the internet language that I do not understand. I was making this more difficult than it should be.

I really appreciate you clearing this up and allowing me to understand it being more of a tool than a designed system or process that opens up a different set of rules. - by rich34232
Thanks Gary you have put it in a way that makes this not so scary and a venture that we all should be using in our every day practice.

I have seen sales 2.0 in various sites and in the sales magazines. I start to read it and immediately the terminology is way over my head with the internet language that I do not understand. I was making this more difficult than it should be.

I really appreciate you clearing this up and allowing me to understand it being more of a tool than a designed system or process that opens up a different set of rules.
This is pure class, Rich, and it demonstrates how humility is perhaps the highest form of self-actualization. In my opinion, a guy like yourself will reap an enormous amount of benefit from the changes that lie before all of us.

The plain fact is nobody knows which way things are going on this topic. But the exciting fact is that it will go where we want to take it. Such is life. Nice post. - by Gary A Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.